Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb002nb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On my HP laptop, I have the annoying problem of audio starting about 2 seconds later (but when it starts, it's still in sync with how it should be). It only occurs when the headphones are plugged in and when there was no audio for at least 20 seconds.

I know that this has already been asked by a lot of people, but I have the same problem as them. They seem to have gotten a decent solution, but I tried all of those, with no result.

I tried a lot of things:

• right click on the speaker icon and click "troubleshoot sound problems" (it found nothing wrong)
  • change headphones
  • I did an automatic search for the latest drivers for the speaker/headphones (I have B&O software, but when I look in Device Manager it says Realtek High Definition audio)
  • I went to the site of HP and downloaded the latest audio driver (sp82571.exe) and ran it
  • I shut down the laptop and ran Hardware Diagnostics to test the audio (no problems found)
  • I went to registry editor and changed the values of ConservationIdleTimeIdlePowerState and PerformanceIdleTime of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0008\PowerSettings  to 00 00 00 00, but they got changed back automatically to either 0a 00 00 00  or 03 00 00 00
22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@MaximVL

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand, there is an audio delay when headphones are connected,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

Did you run the HP Support Assistant?

Have you done all your Windows updates?

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

Are you having a similar issue when connecting other headphones?

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Step 1 Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -  Windows Update Troubleshooter - Microsoft Support

Step 2 Windows Updates -

• In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.
  • Check for updates.
  • If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 3 HP Support Assistant Updates -

• In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant.
  • Check for updates.
  • If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 4 BIOS Updatehttps://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

If the issue persists, please create a new user account and check the sound: Click Here.

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed,

And your device is up and running again,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers 😉

HP Recommended

@Flower_Bud  thanks for the quick reply :generic:

• I did run the HP Support Assistant updates,
  • I check Windows Updates on a daily basis (sometimes twice a day), 
  • It worked fine until approximately a week ago (I can't exactly pinpoint the exact moment it stopped working fine),
  • I didn't make any hardware changes and I didn't install software (except for the ones that I need for school and that didn't give any trouble on my previous laptop)
  • I tried other headphones, but the audio delay is still there

About updating the BIOS:

I haven't done that yet, but before I do: how do I check which version is currently on my device and is there a way to compare this version to the newest version that I can find on the site without actually installing that version?

HP Recommended

@MaximVL

Thank you for responding 🙂

It's great to have you back 😉

Follow these steps to Find the current BIOS version number

To find the current BIOS version on your computer, follow the steps below.

1. In Windows search for msinfo32.exe, and click msinfo32.exe in the list of results.

2. In the System Information window under the System Summary category, look for the BIOS Version/Date entry. This is your current BIOS version.

Figure: System Information BIOS Version/Date

3. BIOS Version/Date entry
  4. Write down the BIOS version and continue with the next section to find the processor type.

Once you have the BIOS Version, you could check the latest BIOS update available on HP Website: https://hp.care/2JrPZHT.

BIOS Update version available on HP Website is F.14 Rev.A.

If your notebook has this version already installed, you need not perform BIOS update.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you contact our phone support since it could be hardware related,

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: https://hp.care/2moMFSc

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. A lot of HP laptops have this problem. It's useless to contact phone helpline. HP doesn't want to admit that there is a driver issue they are unable to solve. 

HP Recommended

@antonyroma,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and apparently is general issue regarding OMEN.  Everything is up to date but the problem remains: when using any kind of headset there's a 2 second sound delay.

Is anything else that can be done or is a issue we will have to live with because HP cannot solve it?

HP Recommended

Not only OMEN: every laptop equipped with B&O audio sistem. Yes I think we have to learn to live with this issue. Anyway these laptops are very powerful. A pair of bluetooth headphones and the issue is fixed!

HP Recommended

I can confirm that the same issue exists on HP Omen 17 an-010tx, the audio starts after about 2 secs while using headphones and there is difference in audio quality.

Boot the system and play any kind of music and the open the "HP Audio Switch" and click "Audio Control", when the programs opens, your audio quality(while using wired headphones) will be improved VERY significantly(with out changing anything in the menu). You can easily see the difference in audio quality if you open this program while listening to instrumental music.

Unfortunately, you need to open this program ONCE on each boot to improve the audio quality. I agree as someone pointed out it might be an issue with all B&O models.

I would really appreciate if someone can reproduce the same results on their machine and post the reply.

EDIT: Someone on the dell forums had the same issue with their machine, reducing the sample rate to 16bits 44100 Hz worked for them apparently. SPEAKER/HEADPHONE PROPERTIES > ADVANCE> SAMPLE RATE>16bits 44100 Hz

HP Recommended

I only have 2 options: 16 bits , 48000 Hz (DVD quality)  and 24 bits, 48000 Hz (studio quality) .
I'm going to try the only 16 bits option I, have, hopefully it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.