Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Some notes:

- I use the 24th driver for about a month now and had no issues where before I had daily crashes.

- No need to use the cleanup tool. At least I did not.

- Do not disable Windows Update, as you'll prevent security fixes etc to come in. Use the driver rollback. That will actually tell Windows Update you don't want the driver updated, but keeps the rest coming. Else you'll be pressing pause every week again and again and increase risk for your system to be hacked by malware.

Only thing I can think off that is different is that my Windows is still pre-2004. version. So no 2004 or 20H1 or so.

HP Recommended

I tried just the 24th June driver on TWO laptops and that didn't cure the problem on either. Repeated the exercise using the AMD Driver clean up and the 24th June driver and that worked immediately on both. By all means just try the driver change but if it doesn't work try the AMD tool as well.

HP Recommended

@stevensko wrote:

Heads up, windows update sent out a batch of AMD drivers. They caused the same problem as before. I used the AMD clean up utility and then let windows update the drivers again but the problem persisted. I then tried again and so far it hasn't happened again but we know the problem can lay dormant. So I'd recommend everyone to turn on the pause updates feature until we isolate which driver is the problem and use this utility to keep it from installing: Hide Windows Updates or driver updates (microsoft.com) 

The automatic driver updates don't seem to be causing a repeat of the same problem. It's the optional update AMD - Media - 2.0.0.29 that seems to be doing it. So simply don't install the optional driver updates. This makes me suspect that the cause of the problem isn't a specific driver or lack of a driver but rather multiple AMD drivers being installed over each other, which is why both the june and the september drivers work as long as the amd cleanup utility is used. So if you get the automatic updates and the problem comes back, use the AMD cleanup utility and then run windows update. 

HP Recommended

i have tried to install the  24th and the 29th driver but I keep getting the error "the driver is not supported on this os version". Does anyone else have the same problem? How can i fix this?

HP Recommended

You're going to have to wait for the next version to come out. Call HP and tell a supervisor. From what I can tell, the drivers won't install on the newest version of Windows. You can try rolling back to the last version of Windows or see if the Windows drivers work now.

HP Recommended

How new is new? Our laptops were purchased about two months ago and I've run Windows update several times including just before doing the fix about 2 weeks ago.

HP Recommended

How do I rollback my windows verison?

HP Recommended

I don't know if this has been posted, but I'm trying the HP softpaq from this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Re-HP-Envy-x360-Ryzen-5-15-Microphone-and-speakers-cras...

I will post my results if I have any thing good to report.

HP Recommended

Thanks for that. I noticed HP posted that on 20th October and its now 17th November. Why on earth didn't they post it on all of the threads discussing this matter?

Do let us know how it goes.

HP Recommended

I ran the update and rebooted. I finished a one hour Teams video call and I had no issues. Too early to tell but compared to my previous meeting a day before when the laptop rebooted itself mid Teams call, this looks promising!

As to HP not telling all threads, all I can say is, sometimes it takes a village to survive!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.