Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0001nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a big issue with audio on my HP Spectre laptop for the last two months. It was working well for long time, but suddenly it completely stopped working. No sound, no microphone function, the icon on the taskbar was saying, there are no audio devices.

I've tried to update the drivers, uninstall them and then tried reinstalling a variety of different ones. I've tried it manually, with the hp assistant app, also with the driver booster app and when I finally got rid of that "no audio devices found" problem, there is a driver which is appearing to be working, but the sound and microphone are still not functional.

I've also tried to perform a power reset, bios reset, updated all the other drivers and also the Windows. Also tried a bunch of older drivers, but any of those drivers worked. 

My guess is, that the problem is the Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED driver with the hardware id INTELAUDIO\DSP_CTLR_DEV_9DC8&VEN_8086&DEV_0222&SUBSYS_8514103C&REV_0030, because it was showing the exclamation mark all the time, but the exclamation mark suddenly disappeared after I performed the bios and the power reset, but still without working audio. I would really like to update it with the driver on this page: HPSBHF03659 rev. 4 - Intel® Smart Sound Technology March 2020 Security Update | HP® Customer Support, but the links are not functional anymore. So, could you please provide me the driver linked there?

Also is there any way to try if the hardware is working properly to make sure it's a software problem, before I am going to try to reinstall the Windows? I've already tried the Windows safe mode and also a bootable Linux, but without a change.

I would really hate to lose all of my installed software and would prefer to solve it with another way than reinstalling my OS.

Thank you for your help and support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've just tried all of these again. The Windows reinstall helped. But I did a wrong backup and lost my files.

Thank you for the help.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello @Davrido 

(1) Download and install

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

6.0.8720.1 Rev.C406.7 MBJun 5, 2020Download

(2) Restart Windows

(3) Test audio

If it fails download and install

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

6.0.8981.1 Rev.A464.7 MBDec 9, 2020Download

(4) Restart Windows

(5) Test audio

(6) Please report back

HP Recommended

Hi,

thank you for your support.

I've already tried to install both of these and reinstalling and tried it again as you suggested.  Still not working.

I've noticed, that the Windows installs the automatically backed up drivers after performing a restart. Could this be a problem? I am not sure, if it's installing only the missing drivers, or every one of them, when they're out of date.

Do you know about any other possible solutions?

Thanks for the hard work.

HP Recommended

Hello @Davrido 

(1) Let Windows install <Optional updates> ( including drivers )

What Are Windows Optional Updates, and How Do You Install Them?

See section <How to Find and Install Windows Optional Updates>

(2) Run <Windows Optional Updates>, everything that comes should be installed

(3Restart Windows

(4Test again

(5Please report back

HP Recommended

Hi,

and thanks for the quick response.

I've just installed two otpional driver updates through the windows update, but the audio is still not working after reboot.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Hello @Davrido 

(1) Start Windows <Device Manager>

- Expand <Audio inputs and outputs>

- Expand <Bluetooth>

- Expand <Network adapters>

- Expand <Sound, video and game controllers>

- Expand <Other devices> ? (Those entries are for hardware for which Windows has not loaded a suitable driver)

--->>> Send screenshot

(2Please report back

HP Recommended

Hi,

here are the screenshots of the categories in the device manager i do have. There is no <Audio inputs and outputs> and <Other devices> category as you can see. I've also listed the <System devices> category, because there is the faulty driver named Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED with that exclamation mark.

Snímek obrazovky 2022-12-06 235744.pngSnímek obrazovky 2022-12-06 235753.pngSnímek obrazovky 2022-12-06 235759.png

Thank you for your support.

HP Recommended

Hello @Davrido 

(1) Start Windows <device manager>

- Right click and uninstall device "Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED"

ub6424_0-1670371612834.png

(2) Let Windows install <Optional updates> ( including drivers )

What Are Windows Optional Updates, and How Do You Install Them?

See section <How to Find and Install Windows Optional Updates>

(3) Run <Windows Optional Updates>, everything that comes should be installed

(4Restart Windows

(5Test again

(6Please report back

HP Recommended

Hi,

thank you for the effort, but I've already tried uninstalling the driver and then running optional updates, when you sent the previous solution. I've done it again to be 100 % sure, but nothing changed as expected and the audio is still not working.

Any other ideas? Thank you again.

HP Recommended

Hi again,

To be more precise, there was a change in behavior, but I don't know if it can make an impact on the solution choice.

This time the windows optional updates service couldn't find anything except this update, but I don't want Windows 11 installed, so I am ignoring it.

Snímek obrazovky 2022-12-07 012440.png

It haven't found the Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED driver, but the driver was installed automatically after I've performed a Windows reboot.

Should I maybe block the automatic saved drivers installation from the System32 folder to prevent overwriting of the drivers that I've installed? I don't know if that can happen, but if it's happening, blocking it may help solving the problem.

Thanks for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.