Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! 

So, I purchased my 15.6 HP ENVY x360 last year in late September at Best Buy and was totally psyched that I had this laptop! Although, it was not until last week that my laptop is acting up where the videos (YouTube, Windows Media Player) freeze or constantly have that "thinking" sign and no audio came from any outlet (iTunes, YouTube, Windows Media Player). I would restart my computer hoping everything works out, however, it did not. My laptop is not even a year old yet. The audio for this computer is by Bang & Olufsen and the speakers are above the keyboard.

It was until last Friday when I finally took my laptop into Best Buy since I bought the Geek Squad insurance. The Geek Squad employee did all the testing and we saw that once he turned on my laptop, the videos from YouTube were playing right away, however, there was no audio. They kept my laptop over the weekend and once picked up, they found out that the problems were because my computer was not updated, which is odd because I beleive that I have updated everything through HP support and my laptop settings. 

Today, two days later since pickup, the audio once again does not play anymore unfortunately. Once turning on my laptop, the videos and iTunes would play the audio with ease. Yet, once my laptop goes to sleep and logging back in, YouTube videos did not play the audio nor did my iTunes. 

So, please, any assistance for the problems that my laptop is dealing with would truly help me.

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following details.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of your x360 notebook - you can usually get this by holding down the fn key and pressing esc, otherwise see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  Hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In Device Manager, expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers - what devices are listed here?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you for assisting me, but here's the information about my laptop:

Product Number: W2K42UA#ABA

As for expanding "Sound, video, and game controllers," under it says that it has: Conexant SmartAudio HD and Intel(R) Display Audio. 

Thank you, 

- Madilynne

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the Conexant HD Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77501-78000/sp77873.exe

When done, hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In Device Manager, expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the Conexant device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77501-78000/sp77627.exe

When the Chipset reinstallation has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open your Downloads folder, right click on the Conexant installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again and let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Exact same problem here.  Bought a HP W2K42UA#ABA in August 2016 at Best Buy.  Worked fine for about 4-5 months, then audio stops working randomly.  Been on support with them 9 times over the months!  They even had me reformat the hard drive back to out-of-box status and install only the Windows and HP updates, no other software.  And, I still have the problem.  This is ridiculous.  In using the hardware test using F2 on start up the audio always works there.  In windows, it works about 25-50% of the time and then stops working whenever it desires.  I also noticed that videos generally don't play when the audio stops working.  Updated Bios recently and then also the audio driver released on 5/14/2017 and all the other updates.  Was hopeful those would fix it.  Wrong!  I am calling HP one more time to beg them to take this thing back as I still have 3 months of warranty left.  The last time I called them, they tried to sell me an extended warranty!  Why would I want to extend a warranty on something that doesn't work!  Then they told me to take it to Best Buy and they will fix if for free.  I called Best Buy and they said that is not the case as I would have to pay them (Geek Squad) to fix it.  

So frustrating.  I am not computer illiterate, but I just do not see a solution for this problem if you have the same problem as I do!  Maybe I will call them one more time and beg them to do something.  If not, I plan on chucking it, cutting my losses, and moving on to a different brand of computer ASAP!

JS

HP Recommended

Exact same problem here. Bought a HP W2K42UA#ABA in August 2016 at Best Buy. Worked fine for about 4-5 months, then audio stops working randomly. Been on support with them 9 times over the months! They even had me reformat the hard drive back to out-of-box status and install only the Windows and HP updates, no other software. And, I still have the problem. This is ridiculous. In using the hardware test using F2 on start up the audio always works there. In windows, it works about 25-50% of the time and then stops working whenever it desires. I also noticed that videos generally don't play when the audio stops working. Updated Bios recently and then also the audio driver released on 5/14/2017 and all the other updates. Was hopeful those would fix it. Wrong! I am calling HP one more time to beg them to take this thing back as I still have 3 months of warranty left. The last time I called them, they tried to sell me an extended warranty! Why would I want to extend a warranty on something that doesn't work! Then they told me to take it to Best Buy and they will fix if for free. I called Best Buy and they said that is not the case as I would have to pay them (Geek Squad) to fix it.

So frustrating. I am not computer illiterate, but I just do not see a solution for this problem if you have the same problem as I do! Maybe I will call them one more time and beg them to do something. If not, I plan on chucking it, cutting my losses, and moving on to a different brand of computer ASAP!

JS

HP Recommended

@js-1234

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums, 

I understand just how frustrating this could be, putting myself in your shoes, that said, I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear HP Support team,

Is there a known fix for this issue already?

I have the same laptop, bought also in August 2016, and the same issue.

I have tried following the troubleshooting steps described in the thread, but the download link is not working.

I will appreciate any help you can give, as it has become extremely annoying to have to reboot every hour or so to get the sound to work.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello, @lgiamber

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

I'd suggest a workaround to this issue by using the Windows default drivers. Here are the steps:

• Go to device manager.
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “IDT high definition audio CODEC” and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks @DVortex.

I have followed the steps you provided. It's working so far, but I'd like to test it for a few more days before calling it a success. I'll report back then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.