Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello,

My  HP laptop is a Pavillion Entertainment dv6-2170us, product: WA778UA#ABA, serial [edited by mod on 8-20-14] running Windows 7 Home Premium OA 64 bit and purchased 2010 (I think).  It is running HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth 2.1 Wireless. Driver provider is Broadcom, 6/15/2009 version 6.2.0.9000

Although my beloved HP laptop shows it has paired with 2 bluetooth speakers I bought this past week, it won't play music through them.  Since both bluetooth speakers work fine with my brand new HP Envy desktop, I am guessing this is due to my laptop running outdated Bluetooh driver.  Unfortunately, the 'update bluetooth driver' button has been grayed out, and I don't know how else to update the bluetooth driver.  I just ran the HP update, but that didn't seem to affect the bluetooth driver.

Bluetooth speakers I have paired:

EasyAcc cannon

Ion Mini Block Rocker

The EasyAcc cannon flashes blue, and their information states it is ready to be paired even though my HP device manager shows it is paired to the laptop.

I tried several of the suggestions on your forum, but was unsuccessful.  I hope to use this speaker in my classroom next week, so your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lori 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Thank you for participating in the HP Support Forum.

The Serial Number (SN) has been removed from your post to protect your personally identifiable product information from theft and subsequent fraud, in accordance with the HP Support Forum's Rules of Participation #4: "Protect privacy...don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publically, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer."

Respectfully,

eric-g

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi @lori25,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  Smiley Happy

I understand that you are having an issue connecting your Bluetooth devices with your HP Pavilion dv6-2170us Entertainment Notebook PC. I will try my best to help you with this issue.

Here is a document for Fixing Bluetooth Problems, that explains how to troubleshoot Bluetooth devices.

If this does not work, below are some more steps you can try.

Steps for Bluetooth
Step 1. Go to device manager
Step 2. Right click on "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" that you want
Step 3. Select "Update Driver Software..."
Step 4. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
Step 5. Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
Step 6. Select "Ports (COM & LPT)"
Step 7. Select "Microsoft" at "Manufacturer" list
Step 8. Finally, select "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link"

If you are still unable to pair with a Bluetooth device try the following:

Step 1. Search for "Change device" in the Windows 8 Start menu.
Step 2. Click on where it says Change device installation settings.
Step 3. Select the No, let me choose what to do option.
Step 4. Check the automatically get the device app option
Step 5. Click Save changes to save the settings you just chose

As well, you can try this

Step 1: Go to RUN (Windows Logo + R) and type “services.msc” and Enter
Step 2: Now find “Bluetooth Support Service” and double click on it
Step 3: Now click on Log On Tab and Type in "Local Service" without quotes
Step 4. Click on “This Account”
Step 5: Now remove any passwords leave the password field blank
Step 6: Underneath the upper left title should be a hyperlink "Start" Click it

I hope this information helps, please let me know how it goes.

Good luck and have a great day!

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Advance23,

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately none of those were successful, so I am going to give up and just retire my beloved laptop.

Thank you again,

Lori

HP Recommended

Hey lori25,

I do have one suggestion that may help with your Bluetooth issue, if you feel up to trying it. I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the Bluetooth drivers Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7). This would remove the drivers that appear to be having an issue and reinstall fresh up to date drivers.

Best of luck and I hope you have a great day!

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I had the same issue with my HP bluetooth speaker connect to my HP Laptop. Below steps fixed the issue.

Pair and connect the speaker through bluetooth, Once connected restart the Laptop.

Speaker will disconnect and reconnect automatically once the laptop is back online. Now the bluetooth speaker will be your default audio device.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with a Bluetooth dome speaker I was trying to connect to my HP Elitebook 8440p. I went into device manager and tried updating software, but still no joy.  Then when I went into "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" and clicked on properties, clicked on Driver, I saw "no driver is installed or needed for this Device. So I left that alone and still in Device Manager went to Bluetooth Radios and made sure that "Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth and Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator". They were not on my Laptop so I just right clicked on "Bluetooth Radios" and clicked enable,

Next I opened Bluetooth Devices, my bluetooth speaker was there not working and I removed it, Rebooted laptop.

Next I turned on my Bluetooth Speaker,  opened Bluetooth Devices on Laptop, clicked add a device. My Speaker shows up.

Now I click on Speaker and click Connect. Wait for any Drivers thats needed to be installed.  Then I turned on my music player and the Speaker is working.

This worked for me, If if helps someone that would be great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.