Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP SPECTRE X360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've seen this crackling sound problem around the internet. After my research for hours, here is what I got:

1. I used 'DPC Latency Checker V1.4.0'. It was found that some devices, i.e. modem, usb, wifi, are interupting the sound card making crackling noise which is really loud and noisy.

2. Changing the bit rate between 16 bit and 24 bit doesn't help.

3. Update speaker driver to 'Realtex 6.3.9600.116' and 'Intel Smart Sound Technology 8.4.1.71' won't help.

4. Turn off the Audio Enhancement in DTS studio sound doesn't help.

5. Disable WIFI driver for a while won't help.

*6. I've found that the problem can be solved by disable 'Disk Data Cache' in SSD option in Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Page 4 from this link: Link

But I can't find this disable option in version 13.6.0.1002

So how can I turn this 'SSD Cache' off?

Or do you have any other solution?

270 REPLIES 270
HP Recommended

Here is what I got from DPC Latency.

Screenshot (4).png

HP Recommended

I'm having that exact same problem, regarding the (annoying, really annoying) crackling sound in a brand new HP x360 Spectre.

I have experienced this problem using both windows 8.1 and kubuntu 15.04, so I'm guessing it is not a driver issue. So we are down to two options: either it it a hardware problem (I'm really, really hoping it is not), or a BIOS issue.

By searching for this problem through the internet I've foun a guy that claims he fixed the problem in a HP x360 (he doesn't say if it is spectre, pavillion, or what) by updating the BIOS:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/HP-Pavilion-x360-speaker-problem/td-p/38761...

I guess I'll give it a try.

Anyway, it is really disappointing to have this king of problem in a laptop that is supposed to be the "flagship"  of HP.  And even more not to have any kind of "official" walkthrough to solve this problem.

I'll try to folow the steps mantioned in the link I posted.

Cheers

HP Recommended

OK, I've updated the BIOS and all drivers in Windows (through the HP utility manager) and the sound have definitly... IMPROVED.

The cracking diminished A  LOT. In wondows the sound quality has improved noticeabily. In kubuntu 15.04 the cracking diminished but the quality is not as good as in windows, I believe there is a driver issue maybe. It would be REALLY good if HP could provide drivers for linux users. But we know how this story goes...

Cheers!

HP Recommended

**bleep**, I've spoken too soon. The sound still has issues. Almost the same as before: when the sound gets louder the speakers vibrates like saturating (more the left one than the right one). So I'm SADLY thinking this is a HARDWARE PROBLEM.

HP Recommended

Any updates on fixes? I just bought my spectre new (13-4101dx) and I am having the same problem. Infact, this is my second one with the same issue, after returning the first. Best way to describe it is when someone yells or there is a loud sound in an audio file, the speakers buzz and crackle. The volume level on the laptop doesn't matter. I've heard buzzing when the volume level is under 15/100. Almost sounds like peaking or something. It's pretty jarring.

I spoke to hp when I had the first laptop, and after failed troubleshooting, they suggest I send the laptop in for repairs. I was disappointed because the laptop is new! Going to tinker with this for a few days, and if nothing comes of it, I'll return (maybe exchange) it at the retail store.

HP Recommended

I had this problem the other day. My sound was fine before my lunch break, but when i returned i had a continous crackling/staticy sound whenever there was any kind of audio. I know some people have said that this didn't work for them, but when i went to control panel/sound and went to the properties under my speakers, i changed the format from 16 bit to 24 bit (under the advanced tab). This worked for me!

btw...i had no issue until i upgraded to windows 10. then the issue started the next day.

HP Recommended

I have found two solutions to this problem. I was experiencing constant crackling of audio on my HP Spectre x360 13-4101dx running Windows 10.

1.) The problem was originally solved by turning off "Audio Enhancements" in the DTS Audio Control Panel.

Unfortunately, this means the audio is of lower quality, so that is why I tried my next solution.

2.) I tried reinstalling the Realtek HD Audio Driver by downloading it from HP's support website here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Spectre-13-4100-x360-Convertible-PC/8499273/model...

(Went directly to the support page for my model 13-4101dx instead of having HP detect my device)

This is the Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver Version 6.4.10041.127 Rev A. It says HP updated this driver on August 19th, 2015. (Maybe they did address the crackling issue with this update.)

I was already running Version 6.4.10041.127 but apparently this is an update using the same version number.

When you install the driver, it uninstalls your previous driver (no roll back driver option) and installs this version. Now, after restarting the computer a couple times, my audio is crystal clear with no crackling, and I can still use the Audio Enhancements in the DTS Audio Control Panel.

Hoping this solution will work for everyone else.

HP Recommended

I also have the same problem but got progressively worse.  It seems intermittent.  Sometimes not there at all.  If lots of people have had machines changed and it is still not working then it is clearly a software issue.  I have tried your solution.  No problems so far but I'll keep you updated.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem as all the people here, and did the procedure described above to disable the write cache, and one hour in, my computer's performance is much much better.  No sound issues and the browser and whole computer is much more responsive, even with tons of stuff running.  Finally have my computer back!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.