Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have been having an ongoing issue with multiple Elitebook 840 G6 laptops running Windows 10 1903 where the audio will randomly stop working.  The only way we can get it working again is to uninstall the Realtek audio from device manager, along with the driver, and reboot which reloads the device and downloads a fresh driver from Microsoft.  I've also tried using the driver from HP with the same result.  I've witnessed this issue on at least a half dozen different G6 models.  My next step will probably be to revert to windows 10 1809, as the version of windows is the only variable I havent tested with.  Has anyone seen this issue besides me?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@PipingRockIT 

Please download and install the following Realtek audio software

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96677.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

We are experiencing the same issues in our environment.  This is only happening on the EliteBook 840 G6 laptops but we've seen it on about a dozen of them already. We use SCCM to image our computers.  We've tried Windows 10 1709 and Windows 10 1809 and we've seen the issue on both.  Audio randomly stops working and the driver has to be reinstalled.  Our technicians have not reported seeing any errors prior to the issue happening; the audio simply stops working. We've tried installing the drivers from HP's website, as well as via the HP Image Assistant.  I'll try the suggestion above and report back.

HP Recommended

We've tried installing the driver below which did not resolve the issue. We've noticed when:

• When the laptop is in a powered-down state and is powered on while docked, the sound does not work. It is only after rebooting (while docked) that the sound begins to work.
  • When the laptop is undocked and is powered-on, the sound works.
  • When we connected a DP to HDMI cable into an external monitor, the sound works.

We've exhausted uninstalling and reinstalling drivers (from HP). We've run HP and Windows diagnostics for the sound which did not detect hardware or driver issues. This issue is occurring on 840 and 850 G6's and all are utilizing the 2013 Slim Dock

HP Recommended

We have the exact same setup and situation as you. After further testing we have narrowed it down to Bluetooth being the problem. Anytime there is a device connected via bluetooth and the user starts their computer on the docking station, there is no sound on the speakers. I have switched back and forth between the bluetooth device and the speakers with no luck. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the bluetooth drivers with no luck. If bluetooth is turned off, there seems to be less of an issue but it is still there. To be clear, it is ANY bluetooth device. That includes a mouse, keyboard, headset, etc.

Any help from HP will be appreciated. Maybe the driver that is installed on the G6 models isn't compatible? Either way, I have 26 - G6 computers that need help ASAP. 

HP Recommended

Same problem here.  A quick fix is needed here, this is a major issue.

Other than rebooting, the only fix I have found  is to disable the Realtek Audio Card in Device Manager and then re-enable ignoring the you must reboot warning.

HP Recommended

Updating drivers won't solve the problem, please provide a valid solution, this is a serious issue and it's pretty irritating.

HP Recommended

Confirming that we are also having the same issue here on no less than 4 Elitebook 630 G6 machines.

We've tried uninstalling/reinstalling/updating all drivers, updated BIOS, reset BIOS to factory defaults, no effect.

HP Recommended

Sorry to say but this doen´t help me solving this issue. 

HP Recommended

Hello everyone, I had the same exact issue as all of you with a G6 laptop at work. Please do the following:

1) Go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/ and choose Laptop and let HP detect your product

2) Once all drivers and such are loaded, find "BIOS" and click that, then download the HP Firmware Pack.

3) Install it, let your computer restart (should do this on its own) and it will complete the install

4) Upon booting, the sound will still likely have an X over it - wait a little bit and once all the new drivers are loaded, it should work as normal. Open Device Manager upon boot and check under Sound to make sure.

I hope this helps - it worked for me so I hope it worked for y'all too, but my company uses modified images for Windows 10 so I can't say our laptops will be exactly the same as ones on the outside.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.