Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Thunderbolt G2 Dock
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just tried to update my G2 Thunderbolt dock (with Audio Module) to the latest firmware.  It had been working fine until this point, but there are now two problems.

1. One of the 9 firmware components did not successfully update the firmware.  The Audio Top DSP module firmware update failed with the following error - Installation Failed SPI SF Erase Failed .   However, the Erase did seem to work - on subsequent attempts to update the firmware version is reported as (65535.65535.65535.6) instead of 1.0.0.168.  The Audio Module now does not output any sound, and all subsequent attempts to update fail.

2. The DisplayPort output over USB-C has changed.  Before I could just plug and play my Macbook into the dock and it would owkr.  Since the update, when I plug my Macbook in I just get a blank screen.  The only way to resolve is to use Switchresx - there are two 4k/60Hz options in this app.  The first does not give any output on the external monitor whilst the second does.

Anybody else having similar issues?

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

@Thorkel

Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that your experiencing issue with the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2,
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2  or 120w?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:

Let's update the HP dock drivers from here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

The dock is an HP Thinderbolt Dock G2 120W.  The product ID is 3YE87AA.

i have tried updating the drivers but that made no difference.  I’ve also tried reapplying the firmware update from two different machines.  Both fail with the SPI SF Erase Failed message when updating the Audio DSP Module firmware.  I now get no audio from the speaker on the dock.

HP Recommended

@Thorkel  

Thank you for posting back. 

As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, this sounds like hardware related issue. And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. What we can do? I am tired to update firmware and drivers :indifferent

HP Recommended

Well, I followed the guidance from @Echo_Lake, which was to call the HP support.  That hasn't helped.

1. It's clear the HP support desk personnel have never heard of this dock.  I got passed around several people.

2. The last guy told me there were no firmware updates for the G2 dock.  I sent him a link.  He said that firmware was for the G2 dock only, not the G2 dock with audio module.  I said they're the same thing.  He said he'd email somebody to check and get back to me.

3. I haven't heard anything else.  I've emailed him to follow up - nothing back.

@Echo_Lake - There appears to be a problem with this firmware update as other people are reporting the same problem.  Are you able to get a message to the team that develops this dock, so they can fix it in a subsequent firmware update?

HP Recommended

@Thorkel

As its firmware update, I would request you to wait for them to push the latest firmware update. 

If you need any help, feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks

Does this mean there is an error that will be solved it in the next firmware release?

1. If so, would you know when approximately the new firmware will be available?
  2. If not, what is the point to wait if we do not know if it is going to be fixed or not

Thanks a lot in advance

Barto

HP Recommended

@Thorkel

I would recommend you can turn on automatic update on your computer and whenever windows roll out the update, the system will notify you to initiate the update. 

To select automatic update, please follow the below steps:

Step 1: Open Windows Update Settings

Using the Windows 10 search bar in the bottom left search "Windows Update Settings" and select the systems settings link that populates.

Step 2: Select Automatic Updates

Once in Windows Update Settings select "Advanced Options".

Ensure that Automatic is selected in the drop down. You can now close the settings window.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello and good morning.

I have a zBook 15 G5 and the HP Thunderbolt G2 Dock and the same problem with the Firmware update.

I have the optional Audio module. 

Is there any possiblity to get a Firmware that is running?

I tested it on 2 different zBooks and it is the same error on both.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.