Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently purchased an HP Envy x360 (15M-EE0013DX).   Windows cannot locate the microphone as an input device.

What I have tried:

-Updated all drivers from the HP support site, including the Realtek audio driver and latest BIOS

-Installed all Windows updates (there were lots of them)

What I am still observing:

In the device manager, there is still a yellow triangle next to "AMD Audio Device".   I tried updating drivers from the device manager, but was informed I am using the latest driver.  I tried removing the device & rebooting to force a re-install of drivers.  Still not working.

Any idea what to try next?  Laptop was purchased for home video-conference calls, but that isn't working out so well without a microphone.

Thanks,

Kevin 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Kevin:

I have a similar model (15-ee0047nr), and after a bunch of updates, I had the same device with the same issue showing up in the device manager.

I got the device installed a couple of weeks ago.  I had no idea what the driver was for, but since you posted the mike isn't working, I went to the Windows control panel>hardware and sound and checked the audio devices, and sure enough the microphone is labeled as the AMD audio device.

So here is what you need to do...I have zipped up and attached the driver you need below.

Download and unzip the file to its folder. Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager.  Click on the problem AMD audio device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC, and hopefully, the microphone will be working for you.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

Hi, Kevin:

I have a similar model (15-ee0047nr), and after a bunch of updates, I had the same device with the same issue showing up in the device manager.

I got the device installed a couple of weeks ago.  I had no idea what the driver was for, but since you posted the mike isn't working, I went to the Windows control panel>hardware and sound and checked the audio devices, and sure enough the microphone is labeled as the AMD audio device.

So here is what you need to do...I have zipped up and attached the driver you need below.

Download and unzip the file to its folder. Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager.  Click on the problem AMD audio device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC, and hopefully, the microphone will be working for you.

HP Recommended

Paul,

That fixed the problem.  Thank you!

Where did you find that driver?

Regards,

Kevin

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Kevin.

It was pretty simple.

I looked up the hardware ID for the device, googled it, found a 3rd party site that had the driver, downloaded it, unzipped it, checked the file contents to make sure it had driver support for the AMD Audio Device hardware ID and that took care of it.

I did not look deeper into the matter since it fixed the driver.

I would bet that driver is buried somewhere in the graphics driver file, and for some reason it didn't install during those many updates my notebook got over a week or so ago from Windows update.

I do remember there was an AMD graphics driver update pushed from Windows update.

I saved that driver zip file to my user profile downloads folder in case it happens again.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Nice work.  Thanks again, glad to have Zoom working with the on-board microphone.

The new AMD Ryzen CPUs are fantastic on these laptops, nice to have everything working now.

Kevin

HP Recommended

Anytime, Kevin.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I have never been a fan of AMD platforms, until now.

This notebook is fantastic in all respects...feel, quality, performance, battery life, the works.

HP Recommended

You are a saint, this fix worked and your instructions were clear and easy to follow!!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you found this discussion of help to you.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I'm having the same issue. I'm unable to update the drive with the zipped file you provided. I am prompted with "The best drivers for your device are already installed". What should I do now?

Thank you,

Edgar

HP Recommended

Hi, Edgar:

If you have a similar model notebook, and you have the ! mark next to the AMD audio device, the only suggestion I can offer would be to uninstall it, check the uninstall driver box, restart the PC and see if Windows installs the device properly.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.