Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15 -cs2xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought this laptop. The microphone works, I made sure it was enabled and it works for all applications except Zoom and Skype. I can hear people, but they CAN'T HEAR ME. The microphone is not muted within the Zoom application. When I test the microphone on the machine, it works. When I test within Zoom, it is not picking up my voice at all. I work in IT and feel like I have gone through all of the usual troubleshooting.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jamcg1,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the microphone is not working in the zoom app.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362283-Testing-computer-or-device-audio

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for responding! I have tested the audio all of these ways. Zoom audio works with the speakers, however not with the microphone. When I do test microphone, nothing registers.

I did notice that the Zoom app is not listed when I go to 'Microphone Privacy Settings' (sentence in bold below)

Apps that I have listed are as follows, all are set to 'On':

Camera  On

Cortona 

Desktop App Web Viewer

Feedback Hub

Messaging

Microsoft Edge  

Microsoft Store

One Note

Voice Recorder

Xbox Console Companion

From the article you sent:

Microphone Troubleshooting

• If you are on on Mac OS 10.14 Mojave or earlier and can't access the microphone, check your operating system permissions to confirm that Zoom has access to the microphone. See Using the Zoom Client and Zoom Rooms with Mac OS 10.14 Mojave for more information.
  • If you are on Windows 10 and can't access the microphone, use the Windows search box to navigate to Microphone privacy settings. Switch on the Allow apps to access your microphone toggle, and enable access for Zoom.
HP Recommended

Hey,Did you tried to select your microphone in settings that are located:
IN SKYPE: upper left corner, next to your name,click on the three dots and then on settings.Navigate to audio and video and check that your preffered microphone is selected.
If i was correct,mark my answer as Accepted.Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I tested this in Sype and in Zoom. The microphone is selected properly. When I speak to test, it does not pick up my voice and does not register. This is strange, because the mic works outside of these apps.

HP Recommended
I found this in the forums,

Hi,

1.      Which operating system are you using?

2.      Does this issue occur only with the Skype or with other applications?

3.      Have you made any changes to your computer?

Method 1:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check.

1. The microphone isn't close enough to pick up your voice. Make sure that the microphone is positioned close enough and that you are speaking directly into it.
2. The microphone is muted. Some microphones have an external control for muting. Make sure the mute control is turned off.
3. The microphone input level is too low. Make sure that the microphone input level is set properly.
4. The microphone connections are not properly attached.
5. A different microphone is selected for use with Speech Recognition.

Step 2:

To adjust the microphone input level, try these steps.
1. Open Audio Devices and Sound Themes by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Sound.
2. Click the Recording tab.
3. Double-click the microphone that you use for Speech Recognition.
4. Click the Levels tab, and then use the slider to set the input level for your microphone.

If you are using windows 7, Try the above steps and check the result. If the issue persists, visit the following link and run the Microsoft fix it to reset the sound settings: Tips for fixing common sound problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

Also refer:

Set up your microphone for Speech Recognition

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-your-microphone-for-Speech-Recognition

I would also suggest you follow the link and check.

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA897/Why-can-t-the-other-person-hear-me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.