Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Unknown

The speakers on the HP Spectre x360 work fine but whenever I plug in my headphones (which work perfectly) into the laptop, the sound continues to play from the laptop speakers. I have tried troubleshooting the sound, restarting the laptop etc nothing is working. The playback tab in the audio device manager doesn't even list an option for headphones. It only lists 'Realtek High Definition' so I can't even select an alternative option for sound. The laptop doesn't even recognise/acknowledge the headphones being inserted into the audio jack. 

Everything else in the laptop is working perfectly so I'm really disappointed about this.

Please can someone help? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Soni3

Welcome to HP support community.

Follow the below steps to fix this issue:

Step 1: To make headphone as the default device

a.    Click on Start; Go to Control Panel.

b.    Click on Sound.

c.    Switch to Recording.

d.    Select your microphone/headset as the default device.

e.    Save the changes by clicking on OK.

Step 2: Updating the audio driver from Device Manager. 

- Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
- Look for Audio Inputs & Outputs and expand the List
- Look for the Audio drivers then right-click it, and select Update Driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

Step 3: Uninstall and re-install your audio device drivers

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers.

Then check the box delete the software for this device.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and Audio drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had the same thing happen on a brand new Spectre 360 - bought on Black Friday. Push the headphone (standard headphones - 3.5mm jack) in and "pop" and nothing. I am very technically adept having worked with and built computers for over 20 years. The jack is physically broken internally. There are other questions posted on the BestBuy site asking about this issue. It seems that HP has a substandard headphone jack in these laptops. Anyway, mine is still in the return window so I have started the return process. Not sure what I'll do next - I don't see it being a Spectre 360 since they have this built in defect. 

HP Recommended

I have gone through the same issues.  Mine is actually a replacement laptop. The first one they sent me, the Touchpad was defective after 30 days. Now my headphone jack seems to be broken.  There is no physical damage, I went the through extensive trouble shooting and since I am 2 months out of warranty they want to me to send it in for a $500 repair? One of the techs I spoke with said he thought the headphone jack issue was something defective, thinking a headphone was plugged in even when it isn't. Any other suggestions? 

HP Recommended

@kubball I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i look forward to hearing from them, thank you.

HP Recommended

I am having what seems to be the opposite problem.  When I plug in headphones into the headphone jack the computer audio shuts off (as I would expect), but no sound is coming through the headphones.  I've tried two different pairs that I know work on other devices.  Also, headphones are not an option I can select in the Realtek High Definition Audio (SST).   

HP Recommended

Hi again (see my post higher up in this thread), 

I had a funny thing happen with my Spectre 360 laptop. I had originally sworn I heard/felt a slight "crunch" when I put my headphone jack in the hole. Enough so that I tried to find a spec to see if it was some kind of off-standard jack. I tried it several times, not always hearing or feeling the "crunch". But the headphones never worked. The speakers cut out, but the phones (tried several different pairs) never played. So I began the return process as mentioned in my post above. 

Once I began that process, I did a factory reset to restore the laptop to "just out of the box" condition software-wise. I tested the headphones again, to verify that they still didn't work, and they worked fine. And have ever since. I never returned the laptop - so that's my suggestion - pain in the shorts as it may be - is to try a full factory reset - back up your data and go all the way back to the original configuration and see if the headphones then start working. 

At any rate, that's what worked for me. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.