Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HI @Finnginn,

Welcome to the HP forum! :generic:

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, audio not working in Linux, even with the absolutely latest kernel (built yesterday). I am a developer and I choose between this and the XPS. I unfortunately regret my decision but can not return this computer so I have to live with an external sound card for now.

BR,

Ingmar

HP Recommended

I think HP are hoping Linux will soon support I2S for the sound card (so they won't need to do anything) but should consider it won't be supported this year (and maybe not even next).

As the post above me did, I too installed the final release of the Linux 4.1 Kernel yesterday and sound still fails and this kernel is 6-12 months from being integrated into distributions.

So it will likely be over a year (2016/2017) before a kernel with support is generally available.

HP, it's time to do what Dell has done, update the BIOS to run the audio in HDA mode (instead of I2S mode).

HP Recommended

I SOLVED IT!

After hours of pain, i can now use the built in soundcard with headphones, as well as the internal speakers.

HOW TO:

Edit grub config by doing:

'sudo vim /etc/default/grub'

Edit the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash'"

To:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi='!Windows 2013' acpi_osi='!Windows 2012'"

Then run:

'sudo update-grub'

Reboot TWO times.

BOOM! Sound works in headphones. The sound card is now in HDA mode (not I2S).

To confirm, run:

'aplay -l' and make sure you have the following in the output:

'card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3242 Analog [ALC3242 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0'

I'm running kernel Linux spectre 3.19.0-21-generic #21-Ubixuntu SMP on Ubuntu x64.

BR,

Ingmar

EDIT: Even the speakers are working, they were just muted in Alsamixer. Hallelulja!

EDIT2: Added the 'acpi_backlight=vendor' parameter to the options line, based on @spano 's input. Thanks!

EDIT3: Fix as pointed out by venividivici24

HP Recommended

Thanks @ingmarolsson

I can confirm this works. I swear I did the "Windows 2013" (but I didn't have "Windows 2012") one before and it didn't work.

I will try to see if the 2012 part is needed. It would be nice to know what is the minimum that is needed so this can be posted in other bug reports for the benefits of the hundreds of others out there.

I will also see how booting into windows affects it, e.g. Do we need to reboot linux twice every time we boot into windows (I ocassionaly like to boot into windows).

HP Recommended

Great news ingmarolsson! I was doing this at first, but I stoped testing each upgrade. I think one of the BIOS or the kernel upgrade helped to solve it.

Thanks alot!

HP Recommended

Working, but i was unable to adjust the backlight after that.

I had to add:

acpi_backlight=vendor

and reboot, after that the backlight keys/slider was working again.

Thank you.

Edit:

If you use gummiboot you should have something like that:

options acpi_osi="!Windows 2013" acpi_osi="!Windows 2012" acpi_backlight=vendor root=/dev/sda2 rw

HP Recommended

@spano: Thanks! I rarely adjust the backlight so I didn't notice this. I updated the parameters in the solution to include your input.

HP Recommended

This didnt work for me on Fedora 22.

Possibly because of grub-update doesnt work.

Also GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash'"

In Fedora this was "rhgb quiet"
Should I do what you suggested entirely or start with rhgb quiet then add the rest?

HP Recommended

I would just add the rest. e.g. "rhgb quiet .....Windows 2013..."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.