Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Im using a 

HP Envy 15-j024sa

The sound coming through my headphones is extremely loud, abnormally loud. I believe that the power output coming  through the headphone jack is what should be going through the onboard speakers and vice versa, did someone get their wires crossed? =/

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi Kezza_Duggit. Good headphones will typically be louder than notebook speakers. My best suggestion is to adjust the volume, and make sure the loudness enhancement is disabled. Take a look at these instructions for Windows 7 (pretty much the same in Windows 😎 to find "Disable all enhancements" here:  How To Disable Audio Enhancements in Windows 7

I hope this helps.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have had this exact same issue since purchasing my HP Envy.

When anything (expensive headphones, cheap headphones, good speakers, amplified speakers, cheap speakers) is plugged into my audio output/headphone jack, the source is always EXTREMELY loud - loud enough to require turning the volume for the media player (any), the windows volume control, and the speakers WAY down to get to a tolerable level.

When using the headphone jack, my Windows volume control must be permanently set at around 3-4%, with all media sources turned down to 10-15% in order for the final volume to be tolerable and/or not blow my speakers, even when those speakers are set to around 15-25%. If the final device has no volume control of its own (most headphones), the media source volume must be reduced further to around 5-8%.

There is definitely something wrong going on here.

When switching back to laptop speakers (beats), setting the media output at 100% and Windows volume at 50% gives a comfortable volume. Obviously this makes it a very painful (sometimes literally) process to switch between default speakers and headphones. Using these volume settings with standard headphones would destroy my ears if I were to wear them.

I have no tab for "Audio Enhancements" in my control panel as per the instructions in the solution provided, I am assuming I have none.

No other laptop I have used or owned (Windows 8.1/7/Vista/XP, an array of makes and models) has had an audio problem like this, usually setting windows volume to ~50%, with all media sources set to 100% gives a reasonable volume for both the built-in speakers and the headphone jack. The issue does not lie in the media players, media or speakers/headphones. I have not installed any extra audio software or drivers to affect audio output, it had this issue since I opened the box.

Any possible solution, or idea of what hardware issues may be occurring would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-Thomas

HP Recommended

Have this exact problem with my HP laptop with beats audio.

To hear well with the internal speakers, I have to turn the volume up to 100%. To be able to use headphones, I have to turn down the volume to about 5%. This is a real problem, and a reason I'd never buy another HP computer if I can't figure out how to solve it.

HP Recommended

My volume is also too loud on the headphones.  I tried following the windows 7 solution, but I couldn't find anything about audio enhancements (windows 8.1).  Should I start a new thread?

For me, the only confortable level on the headhpones is 2.  Everything else is too loud for my tastes, and I agree with the concern that it is unbalanced with the speakers.  I don't like that since I risk hurting my ears if I transition from listening with the speakers to headphones, and I forget turning the volume down.

HP Recommended

Yeah. that solution isn't working for the rest of us. Should we post a new thread? How do we get help with this? It is rediculous.

HP Recommended

bump.  I still think this deserves more attention.

I am considering starting a new thread, because maybe this is specific to beats audio.  Beats audio is able to detect when headphones are plugged in, AND beats audio is able to programatically adjust the volume at such time.  It's just that in its current configuration, it maintains the volume at this too high-level.

HP Recommended

If you do post a new thread, please let us know here as well. I'll post in your new thread to hopefully get some attention from HP.

HP Recommended

@jarjarbuggle wrote:

bump.  I still think this deserves more attention.

I am considering starting a new thread, because maybe this is specific to beats audio.  Beats audio is able to detect when headphones are plugged in, AND beats audio is able to programatically adjust the volume at such time.  It's just that in its current configuration, it maintains the volume at this too high-level.

If you post a new thread you will receive the same copy/paste reply i got then nothing else.

HP have terrible customer service and i will avoid hp products in the future because of that.

HP Recommended

Hey all,

I had enourmous trouble with tech support, as others have experienced.  I didn't get anywhere.

But, I'm happy to report that the issue is fixed!  I have upgraded to windows 10, so I'm guessing one of the many updates, a fix was introduced.

Specifically for me, the fix is that audio is automatically adjusted when headphones are plugged in.  It is still weird that I only have the audio at 4 for headphones, but the auto volume adjust basically takes care of the issue for me.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.