Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15-ah151sa (Others too)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I notice that there are many threads in here with Bang & Olufsen audio issues. I don't want to debate whether the audio is  good enough, clearly there are many dissatisfied customers, instead I'm interested in what can be done.

I tried uninstalling the stock drivers, which seems to disable the B&O software. The stock Windows Update-found HD audio driver is OK, but it lacks depth and surround sound. I also tried installing Realtek drivers from their website. That returns the sound to the same as the stock driver, and re-enables the B&O software interference. But, the Realtek drivers re-enables the option to disable the B&O equalizer. That allows for some audio manipulation.

Personally, I would say that the stock audio has great surround sound but the bass is terrible. The equalizer is also a joke. This is my first HP notebook and though I'm new, I've already caught wind of the fact the equalizer is exactly the same as the Beats one that came before it, minus the colour change. I think these notebooks have great audio potential, but the software manipulation has ruined it.

Help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @BrightView,

Welcome Back to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the Bang & Olufsen. I will be glad to help you.

1. Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
  2. In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High Definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
  3. Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
  8. In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
  9. At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window withHigh Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
  10. In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead ofRealtek High Definition Audio.
  11. At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.
  12. Enjoy your music now with no compression!!

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :generic:

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks kindly for that!

Well I'll keep that one in mind.

I'd say from testing that driver, that it doesn't have the instructions to handle all the hardware however. For example, it lacks depth, surround sound and bass. If there really is a subwoofer installed, even in a laptop, there should be bass. There's also a hissing sound from the soundbar. That happens if I uninstall the driver. That leads me to conclude that the general high definition device driver doesn't detect or know how to use the hardware.

But, disabling the B&O audio compression is a very good start!

Has anyone else been tweaking this?

HP Recommended

OK my question would be how to get rid of B&O play audio manager and to get back to old good Realtek HD audio manager?

As B&O play is much wors than native Realtek HD audio manager.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.