Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-w000 x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have new USB-C earphones but trying them on my laptop, they arent recognised.

Is it because the hardware doesnt support this use from the USB-C ports?

I would love some support to get them working if it is at all possible.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi! @Sujj1, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you would like to know if USB-C earphone will work on a USB-C port on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with different video cable?

Are you using an adapter to connect your display to your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned you would like to know if USB-C earphone will work on a USB-C port on your laptop.

I have checked the records if your laptop supports bidirectional support from USB-C. You should be able to use the USB-C headphones on your PC.

If you have issues connecting USB-C headphones to your PC.

One of the possible reasons why you are experiencing issues with using a USB type-C earphones is due to an incompatible driver. For us to provide better assistance, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your earphones?
  • Are you experiencing the same issue even when using other Windows 10 devices?

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've made no hardware changes to my laptop.

I've updated to the latest version of windows 10 and i've made sure all the drivers are up to date.

HP Spectre x360 - 13-w013dx

I've checked the product specifications and it says:

- 2 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 2 (HP Sleep and Charge, Thunderbolt Gen 3); 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (HP Sleep and Charge); 1 headphone/microphone combo

I cant tell if it supports bidirectional support.

I dont have any other windows 10 devices or other headphones.

The ones im trying are HTC USonic Earphones.

HP Recommended

Hi @Sujj1

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service.I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation.

Have you tried connecting any other devices to the USB Type-C port to check if the port works?

Try these.

1. Plug your headphones in.
  2. At the bottom right side of your desktop taskbar, right-click the volume icon and select Playback devices.
  3. Check the default device and if it detects the headphones you plugged in.
  4. If it does not detect your headphones, you will need to update the BIOS from Here

Keep me posted how it goes.

Thank you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I dont have any other USB-C earphones yet that i can test it with.

I have tried the steps you described and the laptop does not detect me having plugged anything in.

I have also updated the BIOS and it made no difference.

HP Recommended

@Sujj1, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As I mentioned in my previous thread you should be able to able to use the USB-C headphones on your laptop.

It looks like an audio driver issue uninstall the audio driver from device manager and install the latest driver from the link below.

Link to download the audio driver.

If the issue still persists it is certainly an issue with the USB-C headphones. Try using a genuine USB-C headphones and check if it works.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was unable to find any other USB-C headphones but i did use the USB-C to Aux adaptor i had to try other headphones.

When i plugged in the adaptor the laptop made a sound recognising that something had been put in.

But no matter which earphones i put in it the sound did not work via the earphones.

When i try to put in the actual USB-C earphones, the laptop doesnt even make a sound to recognise something has been attached to the laptop.

I also updated the audio driver, but it was already up to date and made no difference.

HP Recommended

Hi Sujj1,

May I know what brand these USB-C headphones are? From my understanding, most USB-C headphones lately (especially from Chinese brands) are having compatibility issues with certain devices. I know that Xiaomi's USB-C headphones only work on their devices. 

I've also heard there were patent issues and all sorts. Try referring to the brand's support page and finding some sort of compatiliblity driver that will hopefully work with the computer.

Regards,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

i'm experiencing the same issue, i'm using hp envy 13 ah0025tu, the headphone is CM33 from huawei

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.