Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 360 15"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When i test the microphone array in the control panel it appears to work and the audio monitor moves. However when I try to use it to record audio into apps, on the internet or webcam, there is no sound. For instance on a podcast website i'm trying to use, it doesn't even show up on the onscreen monitor. I have done all the usual re checking permissions, troubleshooter, rolled back driver etc. System up to date. Nothing works. Help please it's extremely annoying.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

@Han_L You may need to follow the below steps to ensure your Microphone is active, also, does it work fine offline: click here to test other apps,

In the Privacy settings window, find and select the "Microphone" section on the left pane. Ensure that the toggle under "Let apps use my microphone" is switched to the "On" position. If you are using your microphone with a particular application, check that you gave that app access to the microphone. Find the app in the list and check that the toggle is switched to the "On" position. See if this solves the problem with the microphone.

If that doesn't help, and it doesn't work on other apps either, try these steps:

In the Services window, you will see a list of Windows services. Find "Windows Audio" service and right-click it. Select "Restart" from the contextual menu. Alternatively, you can select "Stop" and then right-click it again and select "Start". Check if this solves the microphone problem.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When i test the microphone array in the control panel it appears to work and the audio monitor moves. However when I try to use it to use an application like "ZOOM" for meetings no one can hear me. It's as if I'm on mute.  Are there any suggestions or solutions to fix this issue?

HP Recommended

Hi Brian - yes exactly the same problem as me

HP Recommended

Dear Han, I have the similar problem.

Have you checked Mic Privacy settings? I have only two applications there, no Skype or Chrome... Maybe this is the case?

e0556f5c-bfff-404d-b489-2121f6fd3cbb.jpg

HP Recommended

I have this same exact issue!!! After hours of conversation with hp their solution is for me to send my computer for repair, however as seeing other people have this issue, I think I will want to figure this out at home. It would be really inconvenient for me to send my laptop back at this time, as I am working from home and work using my laptop. I should also mention that I also  have a hp spectre x360 15 inch purchased in august. Below is a summary of my issues and what I have tried to fix the issue so far...

Issues:
Microphone (Intel Microphone Array) shows to be working in (Settings -> Sound -> Input). The bar moves as I make noise. When I try to troubleshoot it says there are no issues. When trying to update the driver for the microphone array it says there are no updates. I have been told to uninstall the driver and have it reinstalled but this did not work. The programs zoom, skype, camera, and voice recorder all do not work with the microphone array. If I plug in headphones, the microphone through the headphones works, but this is inconvenient. 

Please keep me updated as to whether or not you find a solution as I feel we have the exact same issue and this should be able to be fixed without having to send our laptops back for repair!

HP Recommended

Hi

Yes this is exactly the same as mine, it's pathetic! No way I can send my laptop back in the current climate we find ourselves in. I can't believe they can't sort this out - seems like loads of people have the same issue. Honestly can't get my head round a laptop of the cost of these Spectres not working properly. Hopeless! Vice versa please keep me updated on yours.

HP Recommended

Hi

None of this works, I've tried it all. Clearly this is a known problem, you only have to look through the forum to see others have the same issue.

Can you advise how I raise this as a direct complaint to HP in order for them to sort this out? As others say, there's no way at the moment that I can be sending my laptop back to HP - they should be able to issue a proper fix to people with out having to do that. It's incredibly poor that a laptop of this value doesn't work properly. Maybe I should have got a Dell after all!!!!

HP Recommended

Dear Han!

Have you checked the microphone privacy settings?
Could you share a screenshot?

I am convinced that if this is the case -  absence of apps in mic privacy settings is the software issue, so the recovery solution should be also  software and, I hope, not requires physical laptop invasion...

HP Recommended

seanokonsky_0-1585587191664.pngseanokonsky_1-1585587222087.pngseanokonsky_2-1585587240741.png

Hi Siarblack, I have tried this but I believe all apps which have issues do have access to my microphone

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.