Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-db0069wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

It seems that ever since Windows 10 64-bit version 2004 came out, I have been experiencing intermittent audio distortion/stuttering. This occurs while playing audio from any source, whether I use the notebook's internal speakers or connect speakers through the 3.5mm adapter. I had hoped an update to fix this would come, either through Windows update or HP, but that has not yet happened.

I have read that this issue was caused by the 2004 version of Windows 10, but haven't been able to find a fix. Prior to that version of Windows, I did not experience this audio issue.

The current Realtek audio driver that I'm using is version 6.0.8940.1. I have rolled back to 6.0.8734.1, but that did not help either.

Other steps I have tried, ending up with the same result of audio distortion/stuttering:

-checking HP Support Assistant for driver updates (none)

-installing a generic 'high definition audio device' driver (version 10.0.19041.264) -> introduced other speaker issues in addition to the main issue

-installing the high definition audio codec from Realtek's website (Win 64, version R2.82 / 6.0.1.8186) -> no improvement

-using different 3.5mm speakers -> same result

-using a USB 2.0 to 3.5mm adapter -> slight improvement, but not resolved

-resetting my notebook -> no change

As a note, I keep Windows 10 updated and am not able to roll back to a previous version of Windows.

If anyone has any suggestions that I've not tried, please let me know.

Thank you,
Matt

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@WarriorNine, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps Audio issue 

To resolve this issue, download and install the SoftPaq or update the audio driver in Device Manager.

Option 1: Download and install the SoftPaq to update the audio driver:

Let's start off by updating the Bios, Chipset, and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

Option 2: Update the audio driver in Device Manager

1. Open Device Manager.
  2. Expand Sound video and game controllers.
  3. Right-click on Realtek Audio Device.
  4. Select Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the driver.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hello Praveenbv and thank you for the response.

With regard to option 1, I have ensured all driver elements referenced in your post have been updated to the most current versions. Since HP does not regularly update graphic drivers, I use those provided by AMD. The last AMD driver provided by HP is from July 10, 2020, which does not list which version of Windows 10 it supports. The last version of Windows listed is 1903, with the latest driver listing only 'Windows 10', with no version.

I am using the most recent BIOS (F.34). I do not see any place to download 'Chipset' drivers, but as mentioned in my previous post, I do my best to keep everything up to date.

For option 2, I have also ensured I have the most recent driver from the HP website (as well as the Support Assistant). The most recent audio driver on the HP site is from June 12, 2020. I will point out that, not only is that almost one year old, but there are no specific audio drivers available for version 2004 of Windows. Similar to graphics, the last version of Windows shown is 1903, the latest one is blank.

It appears that HP is not very good at providing recent drivers for important functions like graphics and audio. Hopefully they will provide an update sometime soon for audio, since I can get the graphics updates directly through AMD.

Thanks again,

Matt

HP Recommended

Hi@WarriorNine,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.