Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm having problems with the sound with Skype only - all other software requiring sound work fine.  I cannot hear my correspondant.  My skype settings seem to be okay and I don't get any error message.

I operate Window 7 x64.  I have a HP Pavilion G7 laptop.

Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry you're having problems. For Windows 7, try this:

Log in to Skype. Click Tools near the top of the window, and select Options from the drop-down. Click Audio settings in the left pane. Under Speakers, you can:

• Use the Volume slider to adjust the volume.
  • Click the down arrow in the drop-down to select the proper speakers.
  • Test the speakers by clicking the little green arrow next to the Speakers drop-down.
  • Click the Make a free test call link to make a test call.

It may be a good idea to plug in a headset as a test to see if that works. You don't need a headset with a microphone; just use whatever headset you use to listen to your music on your iPod. The nice thing about using stereo headphones is that you can still speak through your computer's integrated microphone, but only you will hear your correspondent's responses, and there won't be as much feedback.

Skype has a handy support document that might help you: I can't hear my friend... (Windows desktop) .

And now for the awkward question: Is it possible that your friend has accidentally muted his/her microphone? Or is this happening with all of your calls?

~Lil.Liebe

Clicking the white KUDOS THUMBS UP ThumbsUp.jpg on the right is a way to say thanks!
Click Accept as Solution on a reply that solves your issue to help others in search of answers.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I am having a problem when using Skype as well.  While taking a Skype call, sounds on other programs are lowered in volume.  I have selected "do nothing" in the sound card communications settings section, but the problem still persists.  Is there any way to fix this?  I am usuing windows 8 with a Compaq CQ45 computer.

HP Recommended

@HP_KCanada,

Are you using a headset or a standalone mic and the PC's speakers?  If you are using a headset, ensure that Skype is set to use the headset instead.  The default for Windows is typically the PC speakers and Skype will default to this setting.  Naturally, users don't hear anything as the PC speakers are typically muted when a headset is connected.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

@ride,

Has this ever worked properly or has this been an issue since day one?  The information I can find is that this is a Windows feature, but you have already disabled this option in Sound under the Communications tab.

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver.  To ensure I can provide the appropriate driver, I will need the full model as CQ45 is the series.  E.g. cq45-1234ab. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
No. I am using the computer speakers only. I don't have headsets and Skype is set up on 'Speakers and Headphones (IDT High Definitions). It is the only option that it is offering me in the scrolling menu.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry you're having problems. For Windows 7, try this:

Log in to Skype. Click Tools near the top of the window, and select Options from the drop-down. Click Audio settings in the left pane. Under Speakers, you can:

• Use the Volume slider to adjust the volume.
  • Click the down arrow in the drop-down to select the proper speakers.
  • Test the speakers by clicking the little green arrow next to the Speakers drop-down.
  • Click the Make a free test call link to make a test call.

It may be a good idea to plug in a headset as a test to see if that works. You don't need a headset with a microphone; just use whatever headset you use to listen to your music on your iPod. The nice thing about using stereo headphones is that you can still speak through your computer's integrated microphone, but only you will hear your correspondent's responses, and there won't be as much feedback.

Skype has a handy support document that might help you: I can't hear my friend... (Windows desktop) .

And now for the awkward question: Is it possible that your friend has accidentally muted his/her microphone? Or is this happening with all of your calls?

~Lil.Liebe

Clicking the white KUDOS THUMBS UP ThumbsUp.jpg on the right is a way to say thanks!
Click Accept as Solution on a reply that solves your issue to help others in search of answers.

HP Recommended

It works now.  I didn't know I had to adjust the volume of my own speakers in the Skype options.  I had adjusted only in the Windows menu.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Glad I could help!

~Lil.Liebe

HP Recommended

Hi ride,

I'm going to open a new thread to try to help you with your problem with the Windows 8 version of Skype. Click this link to go to the new post

~Lil.Liebe

HP Recommended

The solution is too simple sometimes.  I'm glad it is working now.

Thanks for updating the community.  🙂

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.