Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-4103dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new Spectre x360 13-4103dx. Having a little trouble hearing
the sound from Netflix when the laptop is used tented, in bed, so that the
speakers are on the bottom of the tent V, and close to a blanket.
Sound volume set to maximum.
A little better in normal laptop position, with the front end where the
speakers are located is tilted upward.

Sound is much better with laptop on a desk. Best in normal laptop position.

Now this may sound a bit dumb, since, of course the blanket will absorb
some of the sound, but I got a few questions:

1. The speakers themselves are supposed to be Bang and Olufsen, but User Manual
is vague on this point. Driver is Conexant SmartAudio HD. Is there some other driver
I might install that would allow me to set the volume higher ? I see on the user forum
that many folks experienced crackling from the sound system. Not me. Not yet.
I also see there is a different driver on the support website -- a Realtek HD Audio driver.
Advice ?

2. Some attention has clearly been given to the sound subsystem. Does anyone know if
the speakers (on underside, front, of keyboard) are designed to project toward the user
of the keyboard so that they project directly downward in the tented position ?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @nscribner,

Welcome back to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that the volume is low on your HP Spectre x360 13-4103dx . I have researched the issue and have come up with a possible resolution. First, please perform a hard reset. Once that is complete, please follow the steps in these documents:

HP Notebook PCs - No Sound from Speakers (Windows 10, 😎

Microsoft - Fix sound problems

Tips for Using, Carrying and Protecting your HP Notebook PC

To answer some of your questions, the specifications page does indicate under sound "Bang & Olufsen with dual speakers". HP Spectre 13-4103dx x360 Convertible PC Product Specifications. There are a few different audio drivers that you can try,  for the best output from the notebook drivers page. Although there is no discrete data explaining the placement of the speakers, it would make sense that would be the desired effect.

If the document did not help you resolve the issue, try restoring the BIOS and then check for windows updates.

Thank you, I look forward to your response with the outcome.

If this post has helped you, feel free to click the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I also own the HP spectre xt ( which is my old laptop that I replaced).  The spectre xt is at least 30% louder.  This Spectre x360 has lower volume than my Iphone.  I have updated my drivers and even reset the system to factory defaults.  I wish they could fix this issue. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. The volume is verly low. I updated the BIOS and my drivers but it doesnt help. Any help ?

HP Recommended

I posted the original complaint.

No significant change so far.

Solution (?) -- purchased a small Bluetooth connected speaker.  Works fine.

HP Recommended

Try changing the setting of sound fidelity from 24 bit to 16 bit and disabling hardware acceleration under the Advanced tab of the Properties box. These two steps, taken together, for me improved the sound volume and the handling of headphones being plugged in and unplugged.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem and went through hell, as a new switcher from Macbooks, learning how to update drivers, when it turns out the solution is very very simple.

Well, I lied 🙂 First you may need to update the Conexant sound controller driver. Do not "update from web" or Microsoft Windows may actually give you the wrong driver. Instead choose the option to look on your computer. I found there were two Conexant drivers and the laptop had shipped with the older one bound to the controller. Choose the newest Conexant driver that is available on your computer.

Once you have the right Conexant driver in use:

• Visit the system tray and click on the B&O icon.
  • There are sound level controllers that work independently of system volume!!
  • Slide the Bass, Treble and Dialog Clarity sliders way up.

You're done! I have hearing problems and now I can finally actually hear the sound on my new Spectre x360.

I hope this works for you, too.

HP Recommended

Thanks for that post! For me there was no newer driver available, but the update from web option did the trick.

After increasing the bass/treble/dialogue clarity sliders a LOT & finally getting access to EQ, the sound on the laptop improved dramatically. Still not great sound (definitely not worthy of the B&O name), but now at least it's no longer a show stopper... I was seriously about to return the machine just because of terrible sound

...now if i could just get my trackpad to behave consistently.... 😉

HP Recommended

You may find after closing the lid and reopening that the volume is completely gone, no sound at all. A restart will do the trick. Shouldn't have to be that way!! but it is.

You may also find that after a Windows update is applied, you have to go through reinstalling the Conexant driver.

Sigh.

Apple was pissing me off but now I remember why I stuck with Macs for the last 25 years.

HP Recommended
lol I feel your pain 🙂 & thanks for the heads up. No problems yet, and that's following a Windows update as well...fingers x'ed

I did notice one peculiarity in the Bang & Olufsen EQ settings. The EQ presets (jazz/rock/etc...) seemed to have virtually no difference between them. I may not have the best ear, but I really wasn't impressed with any of their set ups.

I manually set EQ, which created a custom preset, but there was no way to save it as a user defined preset. It seems to be holding strong for now LOL but it did "disappear" on me once already, so who knows if this will be a "thing" going forward. Again, fingers x'ed!

There's a lot to like about this laptop… I sure hope that sound quality won't be a constant battle
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.