Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear hp, hope you can help. 

The Laptop is a new (hp pavilion power 15-cb0036ns), purchased at the end of December 2017.

The problem is the same as other people in the forum have mentioned. When the usb on the left side of the computer are connected they transmit a sound through the 3.5mm jack to the headphones. It sounds like a static and cracking noise. 

When I unplugged the Usb, the sound stops. 

I have tried different types of headphones, all of them have the noise.

I have also tried to update the drivers and even to update the bios. It hasn't helped.

In short, How can I fix this?

Is it a hardware problem that I can fix? Or do I need to contact my dealer (amazon)?

Thank you!

Here are the links of the people that I found have the same problem. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/HP-Pavilion-Power-15-cb015nl-sound-noise-issue/td-p/638...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Laptop-static-noise-through-headphones-when-performing-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @TomasBl,

I reviewed the post. Thanks for the super quick response. It is great to have you back. You've displayed immense technical flair, brilliant efforts and terrific attitude to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

Please check with Amazon for a replacement of the same Model or another Hp notebook. This should do the trick for you.  I genuinely hope things pan out well. Finally, we have deduced as a team that it is a hardware issue and nailed it.

Now trust me I've done all I can to assist you here by keeping your best interest in mind. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and an immense delight to work with you. I hope things work great for you.

If this helps, then to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @TomasBl,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance regarding a static or crackling noise from a headset when something is connected to the USB port on the left. I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Are you connecting USB headphones to the left USB port or is it while connecting devices like your flash drive?
  • Did you check if the crackling noise occurs when connected to a different USB port?
  • If it is a flash drive, did you connect any other device to the left USB port such as an external wired USB mouse or external hard drive or a different flash drive and check if the noise occurs?

For now, try these steps:

Please note if you are using USB headsets and receiving this Static noise, while there is no noise from the audio port of the computer when a regular headset is connected, then this issue is not supported as third party USB headphones may have an issue with the USB ports.

• Please try multiple devices on the left USB port such as an external USB mouse or a different flash drive other than the device that causes the noise when it is connected.
  • Also, try other USB ports on the computer to check if the crackling noise occurs.

If the noise occurs try these steps to eliminate hardware failure:

• Create a new user account as an administrator from this link: http://hp.care/2rZfJBC then restart the computer and log in to the new user account.
  • Now connect a USB device (flash drive or external hard drive) to the computer and check if it produces the crackling noise.
  • If it does not the problem is resolved as the old User account has a problem. Start using the new user account.

If the problem continues, please backup your files and perform a system recovery to factory settings from this link: http://hp.care/2ykkhqS after backing up your important data and check if the situation is corrected.

If the problem continues, then the issue is hardware related and contact HP phone support to get the computer serviced.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

If the computer is within a return window, then you could return this computer Amazon and get a replacement of the same HP model.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello David,

Thank you for the reply. Let me answer your questions, 

I use an external usb mouse and a laptop cooling stand. With both of them I have the "noise problem". 

The problem seems to be only on the left side usb. I tried as you said different configurations with different ports and peripherals and discovered that I can use the right side usb without the noise. But as soon as I connect anything on the left side, the noise appears. It doesn't matter if I connect only one or both usb on the left, as soon as I connect something the noise appears. 

The headphones are oldfashion 3.5mm jack. 

As you told me I restored the computer today to the factory settings and uninstalled windows (It came with free dos). Then in free dos I tried to see if the problem persisted, and It did, even in freedos I can hear the noise.

I believe it is a hardware problem and I think I'll go for the easy way and ask a replacement from amazon. 

Thank you again for you help.

HP Recommended

Hi @TomasBl,

I reviewed the post. Thanks for the super quick response. It is great to have you back. You've displayed immense technical flair, brilliant efforts and terrific attitude to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

Please check with Amazon for a replacement of the same Model or another Hp notebook. This should do the trick for you.  I genuinely hope things pan out well. Finally, we have deduced as a team that it is a hardware issue and nailed it.

Now trust me I've done all I can to assist you here by keeping your best interest in mind. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and an immense delight to work with you. I hope things work great for you.

If this helps, then to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.