Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

User I dealt with has not had issue since I booted PC to Hirens boot CD one time. Not sure what this did, but as another poster mentioned it resolved the issue. Might not help for everyone, but did for me 

HP Recommended

Make that now two clients. I happened to be in the office today and Jenny came over to say she couldn't play audio. When I tried the volume control, it hissed at me! The trick of disabling and re-enabling the device doesn't work in this case. Uninstalling and rebooting doesn't work either. So we now have a user where sound doesn't work - she's currently using a USB headset because that's got it's own device driver built in.

We are about to write a *very* annoyed letter to HP as we now have enough evidence to show that the ProBook 430 G4 audio is broken. They are all still in one year warranty and at this rate, they are all going back...

BTW - I tried a driver update and something did install. This is the version that's currently installed:

Intel (R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller

Provider: Intel(R) Corporation

Driver Date: 21/07/2017

Driver version: 9.21.0.2636

What version is everyone else on?

HP Recommended

Later... I worked late last night so was able to get hold of the user's laptop. My first port of call was to check the HP support tool for updates and there were two - Bluetooth and Intel video driver. Whilst it tooks about an hour for the video driver to install*, after it's installation and reboot, the audio devices were redected and started working again.

What I suspect  had happened in this case is that one driver had updated (let's say the Intel SST) but without updating other related drivers so had got into an incompatible state. This is a pure guess.

Before I did this I was trying to find the standalone driver for the Intel SST but failed and another guess is that this device is part of the combined graphics and audio chipset, i.e. updating the Intel video driver also updates the Intel SST. Once again another guess but they are all interlinked because there are four devices linked together here:

Conexant SST

Intel display audio

Intel SST audio controller

Intel SST audio controller OEM

When the laptop was in the failed (or disabled state), only the "Intel SST audio controller" is shown - the other three devices disappear. I know only because I had disabled the Intel SST driver on the users machine, then did the video driver update and then re-enabled the Intel SST. The other three devices then popped up.

Doesn't explain the original crash but it does show that HP are pushing out updates that effect this entire thread and therefore a nod that there is a driver problem.

HP Recommended

It seems that my first post wasn't correct... I have to check this again, but it seems that if I paused spotify the same thing happens, i.e. the sound stopped completely.

So maybe it's not related to youtube or another site where there is "sound" involved.

I am this closed to let go this laptop. (my fingers were quite close together in order to give you an image)  🙂

HP Recommended

I have 3 ProBook 650 G3's with the same issue. I have tried about everything you can think of, including reimaging the systems, and while it may temporarily fix the issue it always returns. First sign is that the audio will stop playing. Then after the next reboot the system will no longer recognize the audio device. I also see the Code 10 error in the device properties. HP really needs to get this figured out.

HP Recommended

@Rob-Nicholson wrote:

Next time it happens, check device manager to see if the SST device has stopped. Just try disabling and re-enabling it.

Rob, in my post 10-04-2017 01:41 PM - edited ‎10-04-2017 01:50 PM , I didn't mention it but I did apply what you're suggesting. More over, disabling/enabling the device from the device manager is a short-term patch, not a solution especially since it happens regularely and most of all on such a brand. IMHO it's imperative that those drivers get their code thoroughly "revisited".

HP Recommended

With work we bought two HP Probook 650 G3 and one HP Probook 450 G4. All have the exact same issue described in this topic. We tried everything we could to solve it, but nothing seems to help.

I see this topic's already from august this year... HP still doesn't have a solution for it?? 

HP Recommended

Hmm, interesting... I made a note of the date of the laptop I was looking at and it's 21st July 2017. That's coincidentally very shortly before this thread was started. The version number is 9.21.0.2626

HP Recommended

Just rollback to 1.06A BIOS and everything working .

HP Recommended

Let us know if that continues to work or if the fix is only temporary. Everytime I try something that works the problem returns after a day or two.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.