Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
14-dk0028wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am working with an HP 14-dk0028wm laptop.  Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile GFX.

I was given this laptop to look at because it was occasionally going to "Blue" error screen.

I have found that whenever the AMD Radeon Vega APU is enabled in device manager, the system will totally hardfreeze within about 5-30 seconds.  By the way, I tested with Ubuntu and the same exact problem happened.  I also have put a fresh install of Windows 10 on it and it conked out as soon as the APU driver was installed.  The laptop is running the latest firmware - F.62.
I have already checked the cooling system and it's clean.  I might redo the heatsink on the GPU.  The very odd thing is the system can run for hours in the BIOS or in safe mode without the APU enabled, but as soon as you enable it - I've tried multiple different driver versions - it immediately freezes.  I even tried installing TightVNC and attempted to connect to it while it was dark and it is for sure totally freezing.

This feels very much like the nVidia GPU fiasco from the dc6000 series.  The laptop lasted through the warranty period, but not much more (the start date was June 27, 2019).
Does anyone have any similar failures?  If so, we need to hold the manufacturers accountable.  I am very disappointed that HP won't even let me contact in for an out of warranty computer.
I guess we can't expect the systems to be running 15 years after release date anymore.  I currently have this laptop sitting on top of an nc6320 that still runs as well as the day it was made.  It's sad and wasteful when a computer can't even make it barely 2 years before completely failing.
I'm just mainly wondering if anyone has any similar failures to this on this model.  I might contact AMD and complain as well.  It feels like a processor / GPU failure.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@AMDMan64

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I want to thank you for taking the time to speak to us today. Your business means a lot to us. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that 
here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First off.. Your forum refuses to let me sign in as the account I used the other day (AMDMan64).  It tells me that account doesn't exist.   You may have to get me on this account instead.
Just for an update.  We managed to locate factory square trade warranty that was apparently purchased with the computer.  They are going to try their hand at fixing it and if for some reason they tell me it's unfixable, I might still need HPs help.  I know exactly what's wrong with the computer, but it's now just a matter of someone either fixing the system board (new CPU or whatever else is broken) or replacing the system board (with one that hopefully won't fail this way again).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.