Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone.  I'm attempting to help diagnose my sister-n-laws HP 15 laptop.  I've searched high and low for an answer but all I'm finding is people with different types of "3 beeps".  They either have 3 "short" beeps or 1 short with 2 long or something like that.  I can't find ANYTHING with 3 long beeps.  It does 3 long beeps twice and then nothing.  I can hear the hard drive spinning too. No HP or BIOS documentation ever mentions anything about 3 long beeps either.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this thing?

I'm saying "3 beeps" but there's a total of 9.  However, these 9 are segmented into 3 definite sets.  It's 3 long beeps then a pause for 2-3 seconds then 3 long beeps, pause, 3 long beeps.  Total of 9 beeps.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello jdguthrie and welcome to the forum!

Depending on the type of BIOS that you have, the three beeps could indicate that there is a RAM failure. Have you tested your RAM stick? If you have another one, you might need to replace it, but only do that if your laptop is out of warranty. Any manipulation of the laptop's integrity could void the warranty. If you have the option, I suggest you to take the RAM out and substitute it if you have another memory. Some people clean the stick with a rubber, but I really doubt that it could be so helpful. I think, you need to consult the RAM's manufacturer web site how to handle this.

Hope I gave you an idea.

Western Digital representative
HP Recommended
Tested that. Swapped with 2 other modules. No Bueno. Sometimes I can finally good (in a rare blue moon) and I was able to run diagnostic then and it comes up with nothing. So I boot into windows and ran some virus scans (it has those issues as well) then I immediately reboot and I'm back to the beeps. Now for two days. Other times it won't beep but just show a black screen and the. All of a sudden the processor fan gets into over drive. Sounds like the laptop is going to take off.
HP Recommended

Hi @jdguthrie,

I hope you enjoy your visit to the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the computer not booting and get 3 beeps. I will be glad to help you.

Per the document Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code, 3 beeps is a Memory Module error not functional.

Please run the BIOS Memory Test.

Remove the re-seat the memory.

If requested replace the memory module.

You can find the Maintenance and Service Guide for your computer at support.hp.com

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Pressing F2 to get into diagnostics doesn't work but on the rare occassions.  I just goes straight to beeping 99% of the time.  On the rare occassion I can get in I have run diagnostics multiple times.  Everything checks out.  I have reseated memory modules and replaced them.  Nothing has changed.

HP Recommended

@jdguthrie,

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.