Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP DV7 3063cl laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently restored an HP DV7 3063cl laptop that died from an overheated motherboard (MB). I replaced the MB with a new board from HP when the price was reduced to about $100, upgraded the CPU with an advertised as new AMD 640M, and applied Arctic Silver on both the CPU and Graphics chips. I put in 4 G of fresh memory, got the computer to operate, and installed Windows 10.

However, I have several problems:

1. The BIOS cannot locate the serial number of the motherboard during the boot process and sends a message to the effect. I hit the Enter key the boot continues.

I have tried to access the BIOS to enter the serial number or other possible solutions I found on line. One HP help forum had a BIOS editing software tool from Compaq from the year 2000 but said that it only would on desktops and the HP staff would have to provide a revised BIOS for my laptop.

2. I get two more error messages that

• PXE -E61: Media test failure, check cable

• PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

I have not seen any fixes for this issue but it only delays the booting process shortly before it continues.

Eventually the computer launches Windows but there are other issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

mhscholder,

There isn't any publicly available method to update that information in the BIOS.  Only authorized HP service providers can update the MB after install.  You'll get that message during boot everytime.  You also will not be able to run a recovery since the recovery media looks for that information.

The PXE errors usually occur when network boot is listed in the boot order ahead of hard drive.

-wes

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

The app is giving you right info. Since HP replaced the motherboard, I would suggest you call HP who would fix the issue by branding it right.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

mhscholder,

There isn't any publicly available method to update that information in the BIOS.  Only authorized HP service providers can update the MB after install.  You'll get that message during boot everytime.  You also will not be able to run a recovery since the recovery media looks for that information.

The PXE errors usually occur when network boot is listed in the boot order ahead of hard drive.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.