Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I recently acquired a laptop - possibly an year old or so. 

The laptop is extremely slow to the point it is really irritating. My uncle never used it for more than browsing and has complained about it being extremely slow. 

I noticed that in task manager I see that the Disk activity seems to be high and almost 100% anytime an action is being performed. This device comes with MQ04ABF100-Toshiba-1000GB-5400rpm-Drive which I thought may be faulty. But, upon trying to fix/upgrade everything else I noticed that the bios version is F.14, so am trying to upgrade it, however, anytime I try to run the bios update, in the options i am seeing that the update line is disabled. I tried looking for the BIOS update lock option in the BIOS settings, but cannot even find that. 

I'm stumped. Can someone help me get this a step closer and help me with how to upgrade BIOS in this laptop, please? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, anyone able to help with this question please? 

HP Recommended

Open Task-Manager (process-tab) and look for the process that slows down the laptop.

A MQ04ABF100-Toshiba-1000GB-5400rpm-Drive is indeed very slow and if it came with
Partitions {System | Windows | Recovery | HP-Tools } you probably have the next problem.

The last BIOS F.64 Rev.A is from Sept. 24, 2021 (sp134542) and when you execute this, everything should be ok and the extracted file should be found in the SWSetup-Folder.

(But on some Laptops I found the "BIOS.bin" in the HP-Tools folder and this does not work! What do they smoke?)

So what is your solution?
Buy a new 1TB SSD drive (appr. 100 $) and a 8 GB USB-Stick. Download the Media Creation Tool from
https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10
and prepare the disk for a different PC!
Update your drivers on the Toshiba-HDD-Drive, exchange the disks and run the USB-Installation in UEFI-Mode.
During setup you should make the Partitioning. A C-Drive with 150 GB is usually enough.

With an USB-SATA adaptor you can use the Toshiba-HDD for backups and you can transfer the drivers to the new SSD.

Do not install any HP-Software

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you so very much for your reply. 

The unfortunate problem is I am unable to execute the BIOS. I do not get the Update option enabled. It does not let me upgrade to a new version of BIOS. I even tried looking for disabling in case BIOS update was Locked in BIOS settings. I could not find any such option. "This BIOS Update is blocked on this device" is the error I see when I try to update the BIOS using the sp. 

In this case is the only option to go through the painful and costly process that you mention below? How is this even acceptable as a customer that the laptop BIOS is not updatable? Am I looking past something very simple here? 

To add to this I noticed that the hinge to the monitor is cracking and the notches that are in place broke with small pieces which I believe are either hinge screw coverings moving around inside the build... Overall this system has been very very disappointing and to think of this that it is exactly one year old and my warranty expired 9/2021 is the most unfortunate part. 😞 

HP Recommended

@hardwarestough wrote:

"This BIOS Update is blocked on this device" is the error I see when I try to update the BIOS using the sp. 

Did you run the command as "administrator" ?

(RightClick "Run as administrator")

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, I have been running it as administrator. That does not seem to make any difference at all. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.