Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp probook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to install a new os, and bitlocker has locked me out of my device. Any suggestions? How do I find this key? Is it in original packaging because I have not found anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OPTION 2 -> You do not want to start your existing Windows and you want to completely erase everything existing on the drive, and then reinstall Windows fresh

If that is what you want, you will need to

• Try booting into BIOS/UEFI using the F10 button
  • Go to "Advanced" tab
  • Go to Secure Boot configuration
  • Ensure it is OFF  (Legacy Model enabled an Secure Boot disabled)
  • Save the changes and go back to "Advanced" tab
  • Enter in "Boot options"
  • Ensure your boot model is Legacy mode (ensure that "Legacy Boot order" is indeed CHECKED)
  • Ensure UEFI boot mode is UNCHECKED
  • Verify the Legacy Boot order is checked and all set
  • Save the changes and exit
  • You may need to re-enter one time some code present on the screen by just pressing the needed buttons/numbers and then hit ENTER
  • Your BIOS/UEFI is configured
  • Try booting from your Windows pendrive - if it does not work, it may not have been created properly.
  • You may use a tool called Rufus and another one called Heidoc to re-download Windows 10 ISO and then write it back properly for BIOS/CSM mode - attached below are instructions.

I know it takes times and might be difficult if you are not tech-savvy. Please, let me know if you need assistance - I will definitely want to help you get this fixed

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Vagven 

Would you be able to provide more details on this situation ?

• Is this a new PC you purchased or a second hand one ?
  • How exactly you try to install a new OS ?
  • Would you be able to take a couple of pictures using a camera/smartphone and post them back here ?

In the mean time, please check this Community TKB article >> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Bitlocker-recovery-key-unknown-or-missing/ta-...

Looking forward to your reply.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Ι did purchase it a year ago, it is out of warranty (27/7/19) and i was the only owner of the laptop. I think I tried to disable an uefi/security feature that was in  bios because I had an issue in starting it with the usb as primary. Once that happened, screen says enter recovery key. No other option for the troubleshoot window works, it simply asks for the code. 

HP Recommended

Hello @Vagven 

If you try to perform fresh clean installation, if you boot from Windows installation media properly and if you decide to erase all the existing content on your disk, then BitLocker recovery key will not be needed.

Read them if this is what you are trying to install.

If you really want to find the BitLocker key, please try the options listed in the TKB article (posted initially, above)

Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Set my usb bootable to install new os, wiped out all data from disk (had backup)IMG_20190920_212632.jpg

, can't do any better than that. Unclicked the tpm state, selected no prompts, but here's what happens in the attached pictures

IMG_20190920_212614.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello @Vagven 

Thank you for the pictures. I do not see any BitLocker security prompt there.

Since the introduction of UEFI a while ago, we now have

• BIOS (legacy/CSM mode) and
  • UEFI mode (newer mode)

These two are basically what controls your PC before they pass certain control to the operating system (Windows)

Boot configuration can be BIOS/legacy and UEFI. In addition to these 2, within UEFI there can be Secure Boot on and off modes.

OPTION 1 -> If you want to try to start back your PC in the Windows condition it had before

• Go to "Advanced" tab
  • Ensure it is ON/active (Secure Boot enabled and Legacy Boot disabled)
  • Ensure your boot model is UEFI (ensure that "Legacy Boot order" is UNCHECKED)
  • Verify the UEFI Boot order is checked and all set
  • You may need to re-enter one time some code present on the screen by just pressing the needed buttons/numbers and then hit ENTER
  • PC should start if everything is fine with Windows
  • Details can be found here >> https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c04784866
HP Recommended

OPTION 2 -> You do not want to start your existing Windows and you want to completely erase everything existing on the drive, and then reinstall Windows fresh

If that is what you want, you will need to

• Go to "Advanced" tab
  • Ensure it is OFF  (Legacy Model enabled an Secure Boot disabled)
  • Ensure your boot model is Legacy mode (ensure that "Legacy Boot order" is indeed CHECKED)
  • Ensure UEFI boot mode is UNCHECKED
  • Verify the Legacy Boot order is checked and all set
  • Your BIOS/UEFI is configured
  • Try booting from your Windows pendrive - if it does not work, it may not have been created properly.
  • You may use a tool called Rufus and another one called Heidoc to re-download Windows 10 ISO and then write it back properly for BIOS/CSM mode - attached below are instructions.

I know it takes times and might be difficult if you are not tech-savvy. Please, let me know if you need assistance - I will definitely want to help you get this fixed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.