Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp notebook 15-bs015dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My screen goes black after I login to Windows 10.  I type in my password and then see a black screen although my mouse is moving and I can hear sound.  It then takes between 1-015 minutes for it to boot and load my desktop.  I have tried to run several tests but can't get it to work.  My laptop is brand new. 

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

THIS IS A WINDOWS UPDATE ISSUE!!
There are multiple threads today with the same issue.
I have a Spectre x360 and had the issue.

After uninstalling the most recent windows updates, I did the the following:

Do a search on your computer for msconfig.
Open System Configuration
Go to Services tab and disable App Readiness
Reboot your computer.

This worked for me!

HP Recommended

@sbacch81

This is a Windows Update issue. Wait 5-10 minutes for the desktop screen to appear

Right click the windows start button and click on "Run".

- in the Run box  type services.msc and click ok

- look for App Readiness in the list

- double-click it, and you'll have the Properties dialogue

- change Manual to Disabled and then OK

- try rebooting as normal

Basically- App Readiness gets applications ready for first logon or when adding new apps. It has been part of Windows since Windows 8 and has caused  long startup problems sporadically on both.

If you have a problem installing a new app from the Windows Store you may have to re-enable it temporarily. You might also try re-enabling it after the next round of updates since it may resolve itself then.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
Same thing happened to me. I just logged in and am hoping the start up screen comes on so that I can try that fix. In the event it doesn't, is there another fix? My laptop is New as well. Stressful.
HP Recommended

@emeraldcity

Hoping the screen desktop appears so you can apply the fix.

If not the tips here by IT_WinSec may help:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Black-screen-for-over-6-mins-after-log-in/m-p/63173...

HP Recommended
Hi Cheryl. It worked. Thank you! That was weird. 😙
HP Recommended

@emeraldcity

Happy to help! Welcome to the forum.

HP Recommended

@emeraldcity @sbacch81 @monkeymers

HP has just released a patch to address this issue.Go to Services again and set App Readiness back to Manual. Then install the patch.
Patch download:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe

HP Recommended
This worked!
Thank You so much for the detailed instructions.
My son just got this computer Christmas 4 says ago, and I was using it when this happened! Lol.....so bad.
Thanks again.
HP Recommended
Hi., my hp notebook remains black after Turing it on. I used external monitor to update my windows and install new graphics driver, but still remains black.. I Also tried the 30-1 - 2 method earlier but it didn't work.. Please help. I'm currently working on my research paper for this semester and there are lots of documentation in my software engineering subject, and my laptop is not working..
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.