Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion dv7-6c64nr entertainment PC
Core i7
Windows7

After i switch on its has black screen, caps lock blinking 3 times, function key f12 wifi signal on. But the machine always running (I can hear the sound).

Appreciated if anyone could help. Thanks in Advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, with reference to the Service Manual on the link below - remove and re-seat your memory module(s).

If the above makes no difference try the following.

Again, with reference to the Manual on the link below, remove one of your memory modules and then see if the notebook will boot.  If it doesn't, try the same module, but in the other slot.  If is still doesn't boot, try the other memory module in both slots, to see if any combination will allow the notebook to start normally.

The procedure for removing these modules is detailed starting on Page 63 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

If the problem persists, we recommend going to this link about Blinking lights or caps lock blinking: HP Notebook PCs - Blinking Code 

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, with reference to the Service Manual on the link below - remove and re-seat your memory module(s).

If the above makes no difference try the following.

Again, with reference to the Manual on the link below, remove one of your memory modules and then see if the notebook will boot.  If it doesn't, try the same module, but in the other slot.  If is still doesn't boot, try the other memory module in both slots, to see if any combination will allow the notebook to start normally.

The procedure for removing these modules is detailed starting on Page 63 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

If the problem persists, we recommend going to this link about Blinking lights or caps lock blinking: HP Notebook PCs - Blinking Code 

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thank u boss, thanks a lot. The 2nd method help me to find out the problem. My laptop has two memory , one is 2gb another one 4gb, As u say, I remove that 2gb memory module, and hit the power button at a first time my see the light on screen. Now I'm running my laptop along with 4gb memory module. I'll be buy another memory very soon.
If I upgred that 2gb to a 4gb, is that ok for my laptop? Again thank u.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear the notebook is up and running :generic:

You can certainly replace the failed ram with a 4Gb module - if needed, use an application such as CPU-Z to see the specs of your existing 4Gb module ( details are listed under the Spd and Memory tabs ).

Note:  Just to be certain that the problem was with the 2Gb module, try the working 4Gb ram in both slots just to rule out any possible problem with the slot itself.

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I checked those 2gb ram every slot, it didn't work. I also used that 4gb memory at CPU-z application.
Thanks a lot again, I appreciate your help.

It's showing such as memory tad-
Dram frequency-665.1mhz
Fsb:dram-1:5
Cas#latency(cl)-9.0clocks
Ras#to case#delay(trcd)-9 clock
Ras#precharge(trp)-9 clock
Cycle time(tras)-24 clock
Command rate(cr)-1t

And SPD tad shows-
Frequency 609mhz-685mhz-761mhz-800mhz
HP Recommended

Hi,

Although it's gemerally best to install identical pairs of ram, the following is an example of a seperate 4Gb module you could use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-PC3-12800-SODIMM-Memory-Module/dp/B005LDLV6S/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

My HP Probook 4440s has been showing similar issues such as

• black screen on startup
  • power button light on
  • caps lock blinks white light with an interval of 3 seconds
  • the Wifi light being orange
  • the one beside the wifi with a globe sumbol  being white throughout
  • the charging light turns white for a split second when I insert the AC cord but then shows blinking orange throughout
  • A light just beside the card slot next to audio jack is orange throughout

The fan runs around 6-7 seconds after I start and as soon as the fan starts the caps lock light stops blinking.

I tried removing and re-seating the memory modules with every combination but, nothing worked.

I have two modules both of 4 GB each.

Can you please help ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.