Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-f200 Notebook PC (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I boot up my laptop, it loads on a black screen with the HP logo for about a minute, then takes me to a blue screen with the text "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info for you" along with the stop code "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED". After that it prepares Automatic Repair. I tried restarting it and powere restarting it, but it just sends me back to the beginning. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
The hard drive has failed/is failing and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will replace it. If not a retail 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive can be used-Western Digital,Seagate,Toshiba,etc
Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use HP Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the tests.

HP Recommended

I tried the System Extensive Test, but it failed at the Hard Drive Optimized DST Check.

The Failure ID is:

Q4QHWJ-7T78T8-MFPWMF-61U703

HP Recommended
The hard drive has failed/is failing and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will replace it. If not a retail 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive can be used-Western Digital,Seagate,Toshiba,etc
Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use HP Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help Cheryl. I have another question. Do you think I may just have to reseat my hard drive? I remember bumping my laptop hard before this mess happened. Once again, thanks for the solution.

HP Recommended

@Cameron91

It certainly can't hurt to try reseating it first. I have seen a hdd lose a secure connection from being jostled around. Of course, if it was running at the time that is likely what damaged the hdd. Give it a shot. Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.