cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
13 9 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Boot From USB

HP Recommended
Elitebook 1040G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have looked at some of the other posts regarding this issue but they weren't helpful and tried a hat with HP Support but that was pretty useless. I unknowingly created a problem on my new laptop by using EaseUS Partition Master to create a new partition which converted the Disk to Dynamic.I only mention this as it may be relevant to the current problem.

Now I can't create a recovery USB and can't image the Disk. I did make a Windows backup with the System Backup. Currently I am trying to boot from a USB drive that contains Hirens Boot environment. I tried this UB in my Dell and that will boot into the Hiren environment. Anyway I went into the BIOS, Legacy, and set the Boot order to Boot from USB first but the computer will not. :indifferent:

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 7
975 963 31 106
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
13 9 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had started that procedure but get a msg that says some errors were found on the partitins and continueing might effect the ability to boot or I might lose some information or files, I don't remember specifically. That is part of the reason that I am trying to boot from USB so that I might be able to image the disc from a Live Win or Linux and perhas repair the partitions from there

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
13 9 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problem partially solved. I attempted to explore the USB drive and it didn't show up in explorer, so I tried it inthe port on the other side of the laptop and bang it worked. So the remaining question is why this drive isn't recognized in 1 port, which does recognize other drives.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
13 9 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well now the USB in question works on both ports, bleeping computers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
975 963 31 106
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Good news.

I have 1 usb v3 and 2 usb v2 ports and they are not all created equal.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation