Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 17t-j100 Co Quad Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone. As the heading says I'm having trouble with my laptop. It was working fine Saturday evening and I went in and updated my audio driver (fixed the low volume issue-it was fresh Windows 10 install). I saw there was a BIOS update strongly recommended by  HP, so I downloaded and installed it (never again). Now when the laptop restarted during the install, it stayed running but the display was blank. I noticed the WiFi status light was orange and the caps lock button led blinking every 2 seconds, with a 4 second pause in between. I looked up the code and it indicated a bios failure or corruption. I followed the recovery instructions to a T multiple times but have had no luck.

Here's what I've tried: removing all power (battery, ac), for an hour, holding down power button 30 seconds. Reconnect ac and holding down Windows and B then holding power button 4 seconds. Tried creating bios recovery media on USB and retrying the bios recovery process. Reseated the memory, unplugged and reconnected the hard drive  Nothing has worked. The fans spin, hard drive is working, power lights come on. I'm stumped. I know how to fix desktop pc bios issues, but never had problems with laptops. 

The last resort is either taking it apart and removing the cmos battery and praying it works or calling hp support off warranty and most likely sending it in. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Nick 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@Nick_bruns,

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Blinking LED on the PC. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I recommend you try the steps from the link below and check if that fixes the issue.

http://hp.care/2bBhDpH

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi@Nick_bruns,

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Blinking LED on the PC. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I recommend you try the steps from the link below and check if that fixes the issue.

http://hp.care/2bBhDpH

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Thank you for replying

It definitely seems to be the bios. It's 2 blinks of the caps lock led in succession with a 4 second pause and it keeps repeating. Nothing else happens. No other blinks or beeps. I did run through all of the steps in doing a hard reset with the exception of putting the battery back in. I just reconnected the ac power. I will try that and see if it charges anything.

I also took the bottom cover off and reseated the memory modules, checked the hard drive connection, and cleaned out any dust (it was very clean). I checked around for anything that looked broken, worn or burned, but everything looked fine. I started it without the memory and got the 3 caps lock blinks for memory error, so I know the memory is good.

I disconnected the cmos battery and reconnected it and then restarted it, but that didn't work.

The laptop was working fine before I ran the bios update so I'm certain that's the issue and it's seeming like I've exhausted all the options. It's like the bios has been completely wiped out.

Any other help is appreciated!
Nick
HP Recommended

Hi@Nick_bruns,

I thank you for the reply.

Then only the way to fix this issue is to reimage the BIOS, but that can happen only at HP repair center.

Contact phone support any warranty related support options using the link below

http://hp.care/2bjG4nE

Hope it helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Thanks for that information! I was thinking that was going to be my last option 8(

Offhand, do you know what they would charge me for that? It's off warranty. I saw that they charge $60 for a ticket for phone support.

Thanks again.
Nick
HP Recommended

@Nick_bruns

Thanks for the update,

Although, the charges are subject to the product you have and the availability of parts,

If you know which part you want to replace (on your own),

You could simply order them from the HP Parts store: Click here for details.

Keep me posted,

Regards

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for replying! It's not under warranty. I don't know if it will require parts as it's a software problem with the bios needing to be restored. I don't know how that works. What do you think it would cost?

Thanks for helping!
Nick
HP Recommended

@Nick_bruns

Thanks for replying,

It may require a motherboard tattoo/flash or replacement depending on the severity of the issue,

The standard charge to pickup, repair and return is approximately $300 (Although, I would still recommend giving them a call as they would be able to give you a more accurate price).

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for replying.

$300 seems a bit steep. What does all that mean? Motherboard tattoo/flash? If the board has to be replaced I can do that myself, but why would the motherboard need to be replaced? It's not a hardware issue. It was working perfectly before I installed the bios update.
HP Recommended
Hi all, just an update. I called support and spoke with the rep. We hadn't even begun to troubleshoot and I put the battery back in to see if it would come on, and what do you know... It fired right back up like nothing even happened! It was amazing. I think the issue was that there was so little current that it wouldn't start. Strange, but all the help is appreciated. Thanks!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.