Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavillion dv4
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I get the blinking caps lock/ scroll lights once a month or so. Restarting or doing a hard reset usually fixes the issue. But is there something I can do to resolve this? Apparently the 4 blinking sequence signals a graphics controller issue, but not sure what this means or how to fix. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @tjam

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 

I understand that you are inquiring help with the intermittent blinking Caps Lock LED. You are correct in saying that this blink code error indicates a Graphics Controller not functional error. Since you can still get into the Notebook I believe there are some steps that may help you with a resolution. 

If any of my replies in this thread end up resolving your issue or answer your question(s), please let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

You said that restarting or doing a hard reset usually fixes the issue. Can you please try doing a hard reset in the same orderthis document outlines it? 

Have you done Windows Updates?

Have you used the HP Support Assistant for updates?

What Operating System came with your Notebook?

Could you please uninstall all of the Graphics Drivers in the Device Manager:  

• Uninstall the Graphics Drivers in the Device Manager. 
  • Restart the Notebook twice.

This should reset the drivers. Then you can use the link to the HP Support Assistant. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to help! Please re-post with the detailed results of the troubleshooting, questions asked above and could you please provide me with your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) also. 

If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

Thank you! 
Have a wonderful day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I looked at Device Manager but not sure which programs, by name I was supposed to uninstall. In other words, not sure which ones are the graphic drivers. Also, I'm somewhat hesitant to start uninstalling these and doing updates. Had a bad experience with Windows 10. My "free" update crashed my computer and it cost me $180 to fix it

HP Recommended

Hey! 

Thank you for getting back to me. 

I completely understand you being nervous about updating. However, the HP Support Assistant and Windows Update normal updates for your Operating System should be fine. 

There is a way to undo updates if you do have an issue. These updates are not the same as upgrading to Windows 10. 

You  had said that you are unsure which Graphics Driver's to uninstall. If you have more than one installed, please uninstall them all. Your computer after restarting twice will automatically populate the appropriate driver. 

Here is a a screenshot of what it should potentially look like on your end. 

Please let me know if the updates and uninstalling the driver(s) helps. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.