Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 820 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Elitebook 820 G3 will not power on, even while it is connected to the power cable supplied with the laptop. I’m quite sure the battery is dead and it may need replacing as it seemed to discharge quickly. This is a refurbished unit. Will a bad battery prevent booting the unit up? Can I remove the battery and use it solely by plugging it in? I only use this for music software so the laptop does not get a hard workout by any stretch of the imagination. I mount it with my keyboards and use it for rehearsals and live performances. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BenGR55 

A refurbished unit, if you did not get it from HP, probably also came with an non-HP battery and those can have very short lives, because there are no quality checks on those.

Some HP laptops will not boot with a dead battery -- I have one -- and it sounds like yours is one of those, as well.

You would have to replace the battery and then see if the laptop will reboot -- so if you buy a replacement battery, get it from somewhere that has a good return policy.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@BenGR55 

A refurbished unit, if you did not get it from HP, probably also came with an non-HP battery and those can have very short lives, because there are no quality checks on those.

Some HP laptops will not boot with a dead battery -- I have one -- and it sounds like yours is one of those, as well.

You would have to replace the battery and then see if the laptop will reboot -- so if you buy a replacement battery, get it from somewhere that has a good return policy.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for helping with this problem. I believe the battery will need to be replaced. I purchased this through TigerDirect and they’ve been pretty good about things in the past. I have contacted them about this problem so I’ll be awaiting their response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.