Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 650 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My laptop does not switch on or charge. I just bought a power supply previous one was damaged. I tried pressing the on button with battery and charger removed for 60 seconds. It still does not switch on or charge.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That may very well be a system board failure. The charging/power distribution section of the system board may no longer be operating as expected.

Check the pins of the header where the power adapter connects to the motherboard. Burned pins have also been the culprit when the power adapter won't allow a notebook to power on even with a dead battery.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Does the power LED light up when the new power adapter is connected?

Yours is, I suspect, a 2017 or earlier notebook.  Is that accurate?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

The power LED does light up. The processor is intel i7 7th generation, that should make it late 2016 or sometime in 2017. The power light and battery charge light flicks for few seconds and then switch off when the power adapter gets connected.

HP Recommended

That may very well be a system board failure. The charging/power distribution section of the system board may no longer be operating as expected.

Check the pins of the header where the power adapter connects to the motherboard. Burned pins have also been the culprit when the power adapter won't allow a notebook to power on even with a dead battery.

HP Recommended

Good day Erico,

Thanks for your suggestions. I removed the mother board to check for visual signs on anything that could have burnt. Unfortunately I could see any. I agree with you that probably the part of the system board responsible for the charging of the battery is damaged. Something caused a blast inside the adapter when it failed, the current surge was large enough to trip the main power circuit breaker in the house. I think that caused a damage in the laptop also. The laptop continued to work for couple of hours until the battery was flat. Hence I think I need to buy another laptop, 

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.