Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 16t-a000
Linux

System Specifications

i7-10750h

GTX 1660ti Max-Q

2 x 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 RAM (aftermarket)

500 GB Western Digital Black SN750 SSD (aftermarket)

1 TB HDD

Problem

When attempting to boot, the computer either gives a black screen or what appears to be memory corruption (possibly of VRAM, randomly colored pixels throughout the screen). Occasionally, I'll be able to get it to boot to Manjaro KDE (my OS), around 1 time in 30 or 40. However, when using the operating system, the problem will return, with the screen becoming corrupted/shifted and all input freezing. The BIOS is inaccessible most of the time, with the screen becoming corrupted or the Caps Lock key flashing before it can be accessed as explained below.

Diagnosis

The Caps Lock key gives three long followed by two short blinks, which according to this article suggests that "the embedded controller times out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization," or possibly a general system board failure.

Attempted Solutions

As my computer does not have a removable battery, I followed the suggested protocol (by the HP Virtual Agent) of disconnecting the AC adapter and all connected peripherals, holding the power button for 15 seconds, and then reconnecting the AC adapter and powering back on. I also took the computer apart, removing each of my 2 RAM sticks one at a time, as well as testing with an extra 4 GB RAM stick that the computer originally came shipped with. Using the HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI, I ran processor, memory, and system board tests, all of which passed. None of these solutions appeared to help.

Here's a general idea of what happens, captured from within the BIOS (the issue appears to be universal-it's happened within the OS as well). This is very rare, however: I usually can't even get into the BIOS or the OS at all. The colored lines and pixels do change in pattern, which would be kind of cool to watch if it wasn't my computer.

IMG-3734.jpg

Conclusion/Warranty Information

This product is out of warranty (I purchased it in August 2020 for around $900 to my recollection), which appears to mean  that it is no longer eligible for official HP support. With that said, if that matters at all, I've always been careful with it, keeping it in a case when I go to school, and I've never dropped it. Is there anything that I can do to fix it, or do I have to buy a new computer? Thanks for all of your help in advance. Please let me know if you want any more information.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @baker_007

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

Apologies for all the inconvenience

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue, and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now,

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest youContact HPin your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.