Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi All

I was having this issue. I tried all above steps. Pulling the CMOS battery seemed to work. But my wife carried the LT across the room and set it down and it turned off. I did some testing, IE tapping.

It appears to be the lid switch that is causing the problem. I had the LT in my lap and with a black screen, the caps lock blinking, and the F12 light on, I tapped near the hinges. (Not knowing where the lid switch is)

The LT came on iimmediately.  So it seems that the lid switch is sticking, and/or the contacts are close enough to touch each other when the lid is open to make the LT think that the lid is closed.

One way to test this theory is to change "When I close the lid:" option to "Do nothing" while plugged in.

Just one more option for this issue.

Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I was WRONG. It happened again and I was not able to duplicate the results. I did update BIOS to a version that was supposed to fix this issue. No luck.

I'll just keep trying.

HP Recommended

The Problem

I just had this problem come up on my HP Pavilion dv7-4263cl Entertainment PC (17 inch) today -- January 17, 2016.

• Blank screen when booting up
  • Blinking caps lock key
  • Solid (non-blinking) F12 WiFi key

Pressing the F8 key (holding down and tapping) at start up did not work for me.

What Worked

What has temporarily worked (so far, enough for me to create a backup) is to remove the real-time clock/buton battery (Lithium 2032), and put it back in -- wait about 30 seconds before doing so. To do this, these are the steps I took:

1. Unplugged everything (the battery charger, the battery, and all USB things)
  2. Flip your computer over, and take out the 5 screws from the base cover.
  3. Remove that cover.
  4. On the right side, you will see the circular lithium battery.
  5. Take out the lithium battery, wait 30 seconds, and put it back in
  6. (put back on cover if you want, I haven't yet)
  7. Press the power button
  8. Hopefully, the BIOS boot message comes up with Invalid Check Sum message
  9. Press your Enter key to reset the BIOS
  10. (I started Windows normally)

Downside -- my computer date reset to July 1, 2009. I plan on replacing the battery (the small one) soon.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

@Propelissa wrote:

The Problem

I just had this problem come up on my HP Pavilion dv7-4263cl Entertainment PC (17 inch) today -- January 17, 2016.

• Blank screen when booting up
  • Blinking caps lock key
  • Solid (non-blinking) F12 WiFi key

Pressing the F8 key (holding down and tapping) at start up did not work for me.

What Worked

What has temporarily worked (so far, enough for me to create a backup) is to remove the real-time clock/buton battery (Lithium 2032), and put it back in -- wait about 30 seconds before doing so. To do this, these are the steps I took:

1. Unplugged everything (the battery charger, the battery, and all USB things)
  2. Flip your computer over, and take out the 5 screws from the base cover.
  3. Remove that cover.
  4. On the right side, you will see the circular lithium battery.
  5. Take out the lithium battery, wait 30 seconds, and put it back in
  6. (put back on cover if you want, I haven't yet)
  7. Press the power button
  8. Hopefully, the BIOS boot message comes up with Invalid Check Sum message
  9. Press your Enter key to reset the BIOS
  10. (I started Windows normally)

Downside -- my computer date reset to July 1, 2009. I plan on replacing the battery (the small one) soon.

Hope this helps.

Alright, I lied. I bought a new battery. My computer won't boot with the BIOS message screen.

HP Recommended

Hi there, just wanted to share my experience with this topic. i was asked to fix a laptop with this same issue and i could not figure out the problem. i refused it and moved on. i recently purchased "second hand" ram and installed into my perfectly working computer and encountered the same issue UPON STARTUP. i immedietly switched CHIPS and thank god, my pc is working. just wanted to share. 

HP Recommended

Deym your the best! ❤️ FIxed my hp pavilion dv7 Love lots ❤️

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.