Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m7 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So for context: Today my laptop suddenly restarted out of the blue. I downloaded the HP hardware diagnostic tool to see if it could find something wrong with my PC, but whenever I tried to do the short drive self-test, it would cancel itself with the following error: "The test is taking too long to complete and will be cancelled now. A request to interupt the test was received. Result of the test is inconclusive." Whenever I tried to do the long drive self-test, it would stay stuck at 10%, and I'd be forced to cancel the test.

Now, I decided to try the Performance Tune-up Check. It went fine for a while, but then for the past hour or so, it's been stuck on "Checking system files" at 58%. It said that it can't be cancelled before I started the test, so I don't know what I should do. Should I restart my PC, or will it damage anything? And if I safely can, is there any advice I could have on what to do with my mysteriously restarting computer and/or cancelling drive tests??

(Forgive me for this mess of a post, I've been up all night trying to fix my computer and I'm on the verge of a panic attack, haha...)

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Well I closed the tune-up check after about 2 hours of the check being stuck at 58%, nothing bad seemed to have happened. I think I'll go to bed now and open a separate issue over my randomly restarting PC and failing drive tests later. ^^'

EDIT: Redid the self-tests, first one finally worked and it said it passed. Second one took AN ENTIRE DAY, but it passed too. So my hard drive is healthy, thankfully.

HP Recommended

@Jazz4321,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Are you using any high-end application or playing a graphic oriented game on your PC?

Try the steps recommended below to restore BIOS to default.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also, I would suggest you enable Fast Start-Up on the system and check if it helps. To do this, follow the steps below.
1. Open Control Panel and go to Power Options.
2. Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side.
3. Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top.
4. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes. 
5. Ensure that Turn on Fast Startup is checked.
6. Restart the computer.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try the steps recommended below.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

Let's try updating the Bios, Chipset and Graphics driver on your PC, using this link or download it using HP support Assistant.

Try updating other drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant.

Once done, restart the notebook. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest you run an extensive system test from F2 and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

You may refer to this support document for - HP PCs - Improving PC Performance (Windows 10)

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your response! However, just yesterday I tried the tune-up check again, and it finished in only around 5-10 minutes.

Prior to yesterday's check I did sfc /scannow, and it said that there were some corrupt files. I checked the log and it said the corrupted files had something to do with Windows Powershell and defender... I then did dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, then did sfc /scannow one last time, and it said there weren't any corrupt files anymore. After that I did the tune-up check, which finished in no time without a hitch! 

HP Recommended

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.