Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
13-v018ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I recently sent in my notebook to HP for an issue and received it back. 

Everything is now fine but I noticed that at EVERY startup, there would always be a startup menu option if I pressed ESC. It would then show this (if I pressed):

Startup menu

F1  System Information

F2 System diagnostics

F7 HP sparekey recovery

F9 Boot menu options

F10 BIOS setup

F11 System recovery

Enter - continue startup

For more information, please go to www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

I read this forum: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-Omen-startup-menu-at-boot/td-p/5102376 which was my question and the answer was to update or reinstall the BIOS, which I did but proved unsuccessful. 

Is there any way to stop having this show up?

*Edit*

I've recently encountered a BSOD at startup from hibernate which stated that there was a "Page Fault in Nonpaged Area" and after force shutting down the laptop after an endless 0% progress, it started up normally. But now everytime on the HP bootup screen, it seems to momentarily state that it's checking the hard drive for files or something. 

Thank you, kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well I guess the BIOS update provided on my laptop's support page was not the most updated because I tried Windows Key +B at startup for an automatic BIOS update and that seemed to do the trick in removing the HP Startup Menu. 

Thanks Jeet_singh for your efforts though,

-kem579

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @EddyK,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand that you need assistance regarding your notebook not booting to windows. It’ll be a genuine pleasure to assist you with this.

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Kudos to you on that score. It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy and technically competent customers like you. We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

First off, we need to figure out, if the issue is software or hardware related.

For better clarity and to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related, I would require more information regarding this.

Did this happen after the recent software update?

Have you tried to run any test on the computer?

Did you try to perform a System restore to a previous date where it was all working fine?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Run an extensive system test as well as an extensive test on the Hard drive from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

If the test fails, then it's clearly a hardware failure with the notebook. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

If the test passes, I would suggest you to go ahead and disable startup menu on your laptop.

Please try the steps recommended to disable secure boot.

You may want to disable Secure Boot in order to install new hardware or boot from a CD or DVD. Follow these steps to disable Secure Boot:
Turn off the computer.
Press the power button to turn on the computer, and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

Press F10 to open BIOS Setup.
Use the right arrow key to choose the System Configuration menu, use the down arrow key to select Boot Options, then press Enter.
Use the down arrow key to select Secure Boot, press Enter, then use the down arrow key to modify the setting to Disabled.
Press Enter to save the change.
Use the left arrow key to select the File menu, use the down arrow key to select Save Changes and Exit, then press Enter to select Yes.
The Computer Setup Utility closes and the computer restarts. When the computer has restarted, the Operating System Boot Mode Change screen appears, prompting you to confirm the Boot Options change. Type the code shown on the screen, then press Enter to confirm the change and continue to Windows.

Please refer this article to know more information about secure boot.

I would also recommend here is to update the Bios, on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Let me know how that pans out,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Hi @EddyK,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,
I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

In the meantime, let me answer your questions:

Secure boot is disabled under system configuration of BIOS setup. (It's actually greyed out) Even if I did have to disable it, would this change anything about the startup menu? No, technically this should not make any changes in the startup

You do get a 90 day warranty once you receive the computer back from repair. So please go ahead and run the extensive system test as well as an extensive test on the hard drive from F2 and get back to us with the results for further assistance.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Well I guess the BIOS update provided on my laptop's support page was not the most updated because I tried Windows Key +B at startup for an automatic BIOS update and that seemed to do the trick in removing the HP Startup Menu. 

Thanks Jeet_singh for your efforts though,

-kem579

HP Recommended

Which

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.