Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11, Model 11-d010nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few weeks ago, friend gave me an HP Stream 11, model 11-d010nr he no longer needed.  Based on the specs I researched:

• it is a standard unit and shipped with Windows 8.1, but he upgraded to Windows 10, and
  • I am unaware of any hardware/software changes.

To clear all traces of his ownership of the unit, I decided to reset it to factory condition. I selected “Reset” and the option to delete (not save) his files, disabled sleep/hibernation, hit enter, and went to bed. I woke up to a blue screen indicating that “A problem occurred during reset”, but it was not specific. It indicated to restart the computer. So I did – then it showed a blue screen saying “Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired. A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed. Error code: 0xc0000225.” 

(Note: I took pictures of the screen to add to this post, but was unable to upload them)

The computer will POST, the hp logo will splash for about 15 seconds, then continuously loop doing the same thing. The problem is I can’t access the Windows 10 recovery/repair/rest tools to try to have Windows 10 fix itself, and I didn’t have installation media.  In an attempt to fix this problem, I did the following: I ran a system test using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI and there appear to be no hardware issues. Next, I created a Win 10 boot USB from Microsoft Media Creation Tool, changed the boot order, inserted the USB and restarted the system. Now, the system accesses the flash drive (as indicated by the drive’s blinking light), the hp logo will splash . . .

. . . then the Windows 10 “circling dots” will show . . .

. . . some sort of window (a command prompt?) will quickly flash . . .

. . . then I get a blank blue screen that stays blank – nothing. 

Please help me with the following issues/questions:

• Am I on the right track?
  • Should I be trying to use Windows 10 or Windows 8.1?
  • What about the original activation key/code – do I need it, and if so, how can I access it when Windows won’t start?

Thank you!

Patiently waiting,

WB_in_MD

UPDATE: 7-29-2018

Dear HP Forum readers:  even though you see the "solution" below, PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD, as this was a very complicated problem, with multiple solutions that built on each other.  Kudos to Paul_Tikkanen and CherylG for their assistance!

WB_in_MD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, CherylG:

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I had installed th "Intel Chipset Installation Utility & Driver", but I missed the fact that there were other drivers listed under it. I added them in, one by one and did a restart between each driver. After installing "Intel Serial IO Driver Without Connected Standby Support", THE CLICKPAD WORKED!!!  I did a follow-up check in Device Manager and look at what I saw:

Device Manager Snip2PNG.jpg

The Synaptics HID TouchPad is there and there is only one (1) "Unknown device".  I have no idea what it is or what could be missing, but as of right now, I don't care what it is!  The major components are working and the Stream is no longer a paper weight! 🙂

Kudos to you for being knowledgeable, patient and persistent as you walked me through the problem: you get multiple thumbs up and multiple "Accept as Solution"s to the problem.  Since this was a complicated problem with multiple solutions, I'll edit the initial query with an update directing all to READ THE ENTIRE THREAD before trying any fix.

You're the best!!!

WB_in_MD

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since the PC was previously upgraded to W10, you can try clean installing W10 by using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will allow you to make a bootable W10 installation flash drive (you will need a 8 GB flash drive for this).

If you are prompted to enter a product key during the installation, check the 'Skip' box, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Stream-11-Notebook-PC/7372144/model/7538969

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul_Tikkanen, for the prompt reply and suggestion for a clean install!

I did create a bootable Windows 10 USB from the Windows Media Creation Tool.  When I try to boot from the USB, there is some "activity"/"interaction" with the USB (the USB's light flashes) but it is not loading Windows 10 to even start the recovery, the installation, or anything.  Any thoughts?

WB_in_MD

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Try enabling legacy mode in the BIOS and see what happens.

See the information below for the typical settings to change.

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054/

HP Recommended
Thank you again. I tried the legacy mode, I get a Windows logo, the circling dots, then the blank blue screen. I even remade my bootable USB to make sure I didn't miss anything.
HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work either.

Unfortunately, I don't know why W10 isn't installing for you.

Try the F11 Factory reset option (this will reset the PC back to W8.1 if it works).

See this link and use the F11 factory reset option...Read the info under the section labeled Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04742289

If by chance that works, go back to the Media creation tool link I posted and click on the Update Now button to get W10 back.

HP Recommended
The F11 option does not work. This is where I ran into trouble in the first place. In the beginning of my original post, I was attempting to reset the computer to its original state and during the reset, it stopped running and I got the BSOD saying "Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired. A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed. Error code: 0xc0000225." Thereafter, I got nothing but the looping described in the original post.
HP Recommended

@Paul_TikkanenPatiently waiting for a solution. I'm trying to avoid the nuclear option of wiping the drive and performing a clean installation of Windows 10, but I'm at wit's end.

HP Recommended
Note: It does not seem to be a hardware problem as my teenage son was able to get it to boot to ubuntu from a USB drive.
HP Recommended

Immediately after powering on start tapping Esc key to halt booting and open a startup menu of choices. From there tap F9 Boot options and see if you can select the USB to boot from.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.