Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook 11

Just got the notebook for my daughter for Christmas and this just happened:  I was trying to run the recommended HP updates and it said "installing" for a long time.  Meanwhile, I opened up Chrome and it locked up saying "not responding".  So I stopped the install action to see if it would help but to no avail.  Then I tried Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the task manager but nothing.  Tried that several times.  I was finally able to get task manager open by right-clicking the task bar below.  Once in task manager I couldn't end task on Chrome.  Then I couldn't shut it down by holding the power button.  I was finally able to shut it down from the start menu.  Now the power light is on but notebook won't turn on.  I tried everthing I could find online so far with no luck.  The HP Support link was a dead link.  The only thing I am doing at the moment is trying to wear down the battery.  I've got a USB light plugged in and it is on.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any solutions??  Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @Lumar99,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I came across your post about the issue with the notebook not starting, and wanted to help!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

In the meantime, please review the following document, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hi I'm having the exact same problem , got this for my daughters Xmas just over a month ago now , done the updates the whole thing crashed , finally managed to get up the home screen and selected **bleep** down as couldn't close down any tabs via task manager , now the laptop won't switch on but the power key is lit up white and the mute key orange , was working perfectly fine intill the updates started
HP Recommended
Hi,

Same thing just happened to my daughters HP Stream 11inch. Downloaded the recommended HP updates, tried running the first one (bios update) lost the use of any key, mouse still working though. Tried restarting using mouse. Shutdown and restarted ok but won't go by this stage. Tried pressing and holding down on/off button with no luck. Has anyone solved this ?

Thanks,

Alan.
HP Recommended

We have had this computer since Dec 25th with no problems. Installed updates this morning and I'm having the same problem. Computer said that they didn't install successfully so I shut it down to restart everything. Tried to boot it up and power light stays on, but computer won't turn on. Tried a hard reset and hooked up to external monitor - no luck. Called support and tried to troubleshoot with no luck. They are sending a box to me for repair. Anyone else have a fix?

HP Recommended

I ended up plugging a USB light to the USB port and let it sit about a day and a half to drain the battery.  Once the battery was drained I plugged it back in and Voila, it powered back up like normal.  I ended up taking it back to Walmart to exchange it for another one, just in case.

HP Recommended

I ended up plugging a USB light to the USB port and let it sit about a day and a half to drain the battery.  Once the battery was drained I plugged it back in and Voila, it powered back up like normal.  I ended up taking it back to Walmart to exchange it for another one, just in case.

HP Recommended

I tried your suggestion and drained the power and then it turned back on! I installed the updates again and they installed successfully this time. It's acting strange now on startup - not taking my PIN even though I KNOW it's correct. Now I'll try to troubleshoot that problem. Thanks for the fix!!

HP Recommended
You might want to try running system restore back to its earliest restore point. Then restart it and running the updates again.
HP Recommended

same thing has just happened to me. I've tried everything and nothing has worked

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.