Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre Model 13-v111dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have windows 10.   Installed Ubuntu (Linux) image on a stick, booted laptop from stick to run Ubuntu,  for 2-3 days, worked fine.

Then stopped.   Get same "fail" error message every time.  Have read threads.   Tried all recommendations and some 

do-overs, including:

re-loaded clean image to stick drive

re-loaded image with Rufus, and/or Bulena

re=loaded image to different stick drive

changed boot order in Bios (F9)

Disabled secure boot, which enabled legacy boot (this was not done when stick was working).

Looked for "USB 3.0 Config in Pre-Os" in BIOS system config so I could set it to AUTO----does not exist in Sys Config menu.

Any ideas?

thanks

Keyman

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@keyman53340 

Sorry, but HP does not provide Linux support.

For such assistance, you have to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi ,

thanks for your answer but I don't believe you understand the issue.

MY LAPTOP DOES NOT ACCESS THE USB BOOT DEVICE.   PERIOD.  I get the same failure msg over and over.    It doesn't matter if the usb had Linux, or   Windows 10, or Windows 8, or something else.   What is WEIRDER is that it worked fine for 2-3 days and then  I started getting these error messages.   IF I had problems RUNNING Linux your answer would be appropriate.   That is not the issue.

I have, as I said, read most of the threads about the usual  culprits, and nothing seems to work.

All best, I do thank you for replying, and happy holiday everybody.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@keyman53340 

OK, then go into the BIOS/UEFI setting again and this time, look for an option to Disable booting from portable devices.  That is usually Enabled in newer PCs and you have to Disable it in order to boot from USB sticks.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.