Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook R160SA Energy Star
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, so I bought my laptop with Windows 8.1 installed. I then upgraded to Windows 10 on lauch day before upgrading my HDD to a SSD. After a while my laptop just started freezing randomly and all I can do then is pull out the battery. I have contacted Microsoft many times about this issue and have tried all troubleshooting steps but none have worked. I have also done a clean install of Windows 10, the problem persists. Now, I reckon it's a hardware problem. The SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. First of all, is that SSD compatible with my laptop (HP Notebook R160SA Energy Star)? If so, what else could be the problem. Thanks.

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

@SAMW98

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand the laptop is freezing With SSD connected, however, worked fine on the HDD (before upgrade),

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should resolve this concern:

Access BIOS and change the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE

Here's an article that should guide you through the steps: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Will changing the sata mode not cause windows to stop working? Anyway I couldn't find where to change it in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

@SAMW98

Thank you for replying,

To answer your question, No it doesn't effect the windows, so feel free to make the changes,

Also about finding the options: Click here

Look under:
BIOS version 6 or less
BIOS version 7 or greater (depending on your version) for details.

Keep me posted,
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for the quick reply. I see in that link you supplied, it says as a note that changing the sata mode when windows is installed may prevent it from booting. Also I have nothing like the options in Bios 6 or 7 in that link.
HP Recommended

@SAMW98

Thank you for replying,

The message you are referring to is a disclaimer from windows, it's safe to proceed, however, if you are uncertain, please complete the data backup before you proceed,

There's an alternate option of changing AHCI to IDE and resolve this concern,

Steps to change from AHCI to IDE mode:

1. Close all running programs and Press Windows Key + R, type regedit and press Enter.
If you are prompted by User Account Control dialog box, click Continue/Yes.

2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide

3. In the right pane, right-click on Start entry and select Modify…

4. In Value data box, put the value 0 (instead of 3) and then click OK.
Exit from Registry Editor and Restart computer.

5. Go to your BIOS Settings during the start up of your system and enable IDE there, Save & Reboot

During driver installation, your system will restart again.

(The above suggestions are from 3rd party sources and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, if you do not wish to continue, I must notify that you would need to contact Samsung support as the computer only crashes when its connected to the SSD and works fine otherwise).

Also to answer the question about compatibility, here's a list of products compatible with your PC: Click here (avoid the ads as this is a 3rd party link and isn't owned by HP) 

Let me know what you'd like to do,

Awaiting your reply,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I tried your alternative method of changing to IDE via regedit as I cannot seem to do it through the BIOS. I followed your steps but when I got to the start value it was already set to 0, which is what you said to change it to. What can I do now? Thanks.

HP Recommended

@SAMW98

Thank you for the update,

I recommend you run a hardware test on the SSD using the HP diagnostics test tool, just to be on a safer side,

And revert back with the results for further assistance.

I would also suggest you check the boot order and ensure the SSD is selected as the priority.

Awaiting your reply,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah I have done a drive test through the BIOS and nothing was detected. However, could you run through the steps to select the SSD as priority for the boot order. There is nothing wrong with the boot, it takes about 20 seconds but its when the laptop is on and idle when the random freezing occurs. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@SAMW98

Thank you for replying,

I suggest running the test using the HP Hardware diagnostics tool: Click here for details.

And you could run the test on both memory (Ram) and HDD as those are the two parts that may cause the computer to freeze while it's being used.

Here's an article that will help you with Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS: Click here

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.