Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-k019nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello. I am struggling to find a solution for this problem since the beginning of 2019. My laptop worked OK from 2015 to 2019 then it stopped to resume from sleeping mode (S3) correctly. It goes to sleep as it should: indication shows sleep mode, but when you try to wake it, something like power cut happens with noticeable click sound, and laptop starts booting as it was turned off. Windows Event Viewer has 41 (63) Kernel-Power critical error and it seems like it doesn't even have time to initialize. First, I tried to reinstall all drivers from HP website, then all windows updates; memtest shows no errors. I checked the motherboard connections and swapped the HDD with new SSD and reinstalled stock windows 8.1 on it - still no result. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

While an actual solution is found, it might be better to just switch to using hibernate and disabling sleep entirely. For me, that prevents the rebooting at least.

HP Recommended

I tried using hybrid mode as a temporary solution, but it is not a good thing, because it intensively writes RAM contents to your hard drive and when you wake pc - reads from it instead of just keeping RAM powered as in normal sleep mode. After some time of using it, I started experiencing decrease in drive performance, so I completely disabled sleep mode. Unfortunately, a laptop without sleep mode is not very convenient to use

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.