Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4108na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP Spectre x360 - 13-4108na and my laptop does not shut down.

When I click on 'shut down', it starts back up after a few seconds.

My drivers and the BIOS are fully up to date using HP Support Assistant. My Windows 10 is fully updated to v1903.

I have tried disabling fast start up, hibernate,  etc. I have even reset Windows (keep files option), and still nothing.

I have spent days googling what might be the issue, but nothing worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Bump. Any one have any idea?

HP Recommended

@beanonil Welcome to HP Community!

Here are a few steps that should help resolve this issue, since you've selected to keep the files the reset could be incomplete as certain settings aren't changed in this particular option, that said, the below steps should help your cause:

1. Open Control Panel and go to Power Options.
    Laptop won't shut down black screen
  2. Locate your current power plan and click Change plan settings next to it.
    change power plan settings
  3. Click on Change advanced power settings.
    Change advanced power settings
  4. Now click on Restore plan defaults button. Click Apply and OK to save changes.
    restore plan defaults advanced power settings

After resetting your power plan to default, the issue should be resolved.

If the issue persists, please follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
  2. When Settings app opens, go to Update & security section.
    update & security windows 10 settings
  3. Now click on Check for updates button.
    check for updates windows 10

Windows will now check for the missing updates. If any updates are available, Windows will download them automatically in the background. Once the missing updates are installed, 

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have done all of that. Still the same.

What can be the next step?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@beanonil Sometimes the cause for this problem can be Intel Rapid Technology, and to fix this problem you need to disable its service. To do that, just follow these steps:

1. Press Windows Key + R, enter services.msc and press Enter or click OK.
    Laptop won't shutdown or restart
  2. When Services window starts, locate Intel Rapid Technology service and double click it.
  3. Now set the Startup type to Disabled and click the Stop button to stop the service. Click Apply and OK to save changes.
    disable the Intel Rapid Technology service

After disabling this service, restart your PC and check if the issue reappears. If the issue still persists, uninstall Intel Rapid Technology and check if that solves the problem.

If the above doesn't help, you might be able to fix the problem by removing the laptop battery. Few users reported that their battery was the problem, but after removing it and inserting it back again, the issue was resolved.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I followed all the steps and uninstalled the Intel Rapid Technology as well but still no resolution.

I have ordered a Torx screwdriver to try taking the battery out, so I'll let you know when it arrives. (Should be in a few days).

Thanks

HP Recommended

@beanonil Alright, please take your time and get back to us with the results,

Good luck and good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My spectre 15t was doing the same thing. I ended up holding power button till it shutdown and now it has no image on screen. I was told it was corrupt bios at first then they suspected mother board

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.