Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15Ep0008na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all! Just bought my brand new HP ENVY 15 2020 edition. Day after it arrived, the laptop updated BIOS and Windows 10 by itself. Since then (day 3) it restarts by itself when I put it to sleep or simply close the lid...the touchscreen stops working too...  Do you know what might be the problem? Your help would be super helpful! 

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue, my model is slightly different from yours in terms of specs but I have the same problem. It goes to sleep and then restarts. I also get an error message on restart, do you get one when it restarts that says "this operating system did not shutdown cleanly" or something?

HP Recommended

@Ugnius

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Next ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Also refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03383935

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Yes I had the same issue.. It really was frustrating... I was looking up on the internet for possible errors, but all the things I found nothing could help, so i just returned the laptop to the seller and will look elsewhere, or maybe buy the same model but just from a different shop.. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. Started happening this week. I have the HP Envy 15 - ep0010ca. Now there's no difference between putting it to sleep and restarting the laptop because every time I put it to sleep, it would restart.

Even the restart isn't the normal one because it would always take to the same lock-screen wallpaper of the ocean and the beach. It's getting on my nerves now.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same issue. Was this resolved?

I have updated all drivers and windows updates but i cannot put my computer HP ENVY 15Ep0008na to sleep. It just keeps restarting itself which is annoying. Mine has done this from day one as well.

Thanks

HP Recommended

The problem is not anything to do with updates.  I have this laptop, in fact I posted a question about the same thing a few days ago.  Through some troubleshooting and research, I've traced it to glitch with the Windows service XTUOCDriverService, which is required by the HP Command Center app.  If the service is stopped manually, the laptop can sleep and hibernate just fine, but if the service is running the problem appears again.  

I've already done a couple of clean Windows installs, installed all updates and drivers.  Everything works fine until HP Command Center and the Command Center SDK (required installation) is installed, that's when the problems pop up.

It would be nice if HP would look into this and release an update to the Command Center SDK that fixes the issue.  I've installed the latest Command Center SDK available on the HP support site, the problem is very much there.

HP Recommended

Hey, good news! I found a solution to this on a reddit thread.

The fix is simple -

Go to device manager

Go to view - show hidden devices

Go to system devices - find Intel Watchdog Timer driver and uninstall the device and driver.

Restart the system and check again in device manager, if it is still there, uninstall the device and driver again.

After the restart it should be gone.

The laptop goes to sleep normally now.

The driver would show up after every windows update so just remember to uninstall it every time windows gets updated.

HP Recommended

Can anyone check to see if this method still allows HP Command Center to work? 

The service I talked about in a previous post does allow the computer to sleep, but breaks HP Command Center, so it would be the same scenario if it behaves the same way.

For a $1900 laptop, I sure hope HP comes up with a real fix instead of leaving us to come up with half baked workarounds.

HP Recommended

Hi Ozgunner

This has fixed the issue. Thanks for resolving the issue Ozgunner!

@HP - can you please take a look at resolving this issue. Seems like the inter watchdog time drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.