Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4545s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My  ProBook, now running WIndows 10 (recently upgraded to version 1703),  has a strange problem:  When I click shut down, I see SHUTTING DOWN briefly on the screen, then the screen goes black but the power button stays lighted for about an hour, then the power button starts to flash (as if in sleep mode).  When I tap the power button, the  laptop wakes up  as if it has been alseep.   There is no long startup  process or HP logo or anything.  It just  wakes up.  So, I assume it never fully acomplished a shut down.

I ran SFC (no problems found) and attempted to run Defender Offline, but it failed due to a missing file.   Ran Disk Cleanup and disk Optimize.   I started to run through the HP diagnostics and the hardware "Run-in" test has now run for 11 hours .  Estimated time remaining has been 10 minutes or less  for hours??!!  Something not right.

I am thinking I should  do a "clean install" of Windows 10 next, but would like some expert  advice first.

Suggestions?

MikeTinVA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Yes. I prefer you to clean install ur OS

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Yes. I prefer you to clean install ur OS
HP Recommended

I did the clean install through Settings>Updates>Recovery>More options.  Shut down now working normally.

Thx, 

MikeTinVA

HP Recommended
Well , I am glad to see that your problem is no more
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.