Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 4 (131 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laptop will not shut down

Product Name: HP Probook 4545s
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My  ProBook, now running WIndows 10 (recently upgraded to version 1703),  has a strange problem:  When I click shut down, I see SHUTTING DOWN briefly on the screen, then the screen goes black but the power button stays lighted for about an hour, then the power button starts to flash (as if in sleep mode).  When I tap the power button, the  laptop wakes up  as if it has been alseep.   There is no long startup  process or HP logo or anything.  It just  wakes up.  So, I assume it never fully acomplished a shut down.

I ran SFC (no problems found) and attempted to run Defender Offline, but it failed due to a missing file.   Ran Disk Cleanup and disk Optimize.   I started to run through the HP diagnostics and the hardware "Run-in" test has now run for 11 hours .  Estimated time remaining has been 10 minutes or less  for hours??!!  Something not right.

I am thinking I should  do a "clean install" of Windows 10 next, but would like some expert  advice first.

Suggestions?

MikeTinVA

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Laptop will not shut down

Yes. I prefer you to clean install ur OS
View solution in context
Highlighted
Teacher
Message 2 of 4 (114 Views)

Yes. I prefer you to clean install ur OS
Tutor
Message 3 of 4 (96 Views)

I did the clean install through Settings>Updates>Recovery>More options.  Shut down now working normally.

Thx, 

MikeTinVA

Teacher
Message 4 of 4 (84 Views)

Well , I am glad to see that your problem is no more
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation