05-19-2017 05:15 AM
My ProBook, now running WIndows 10 (recently upgraded to version 1703), has a strange problem: When I click shut down, I see SHUTTING DOWN briefly on the screen, then the screen goes black but the power button stays lighted for about an hour, then the power button starts to flash (as if in sleep mode). When I tap the power button, the laptop wakes up as if it has been alseep. There is no long startup process or HP logo or anything. It just wakes up. So, I assume it never fully acomplished a shut down.
I ran SFC (no problems found) and attempted to run Defender Offline, but it failed due to a missing file. Ran Disk Cleanup and disk Optimize. I started to run through the HP diagnostics and the hardware "Run-in" test has now run for 11 hours . Estimated time remaining has been 10 minutes or less for hours??!! Something not right.
I am thinking I should do a "clean install" of Windows 10 next, but would like some expert advice first.
Solved! View Solution.
Re: Laptop will not shut down
05-19-2017 08:48 AM
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)