Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-da0053ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This issue is going to require a backstory so read below first:

My laptop was processing slow for a while, so I purchased a WDgreen 250GB SSD for better functioning, After installing it and setting it as the main boot drive, It worked! That was the calm before the storm. Then, I made the awful mistake of using diskpart and cleaning my HDD(that is after I cloned the windows into the SSD), This lead to a series of issues from which I used a windows installation media to reinstall windows, sadly into the unallocated space in my HDD(this was because I was scared of it overwriting my data in the windows that I cloned into the SSD).

Now that I can use the windows that I have on the HDD, I tried setting the SSD as the main boot drive, but it shows that it is the only drive in the OS boot manager! I even checked the UEFI configuration where it detects the old HDD, but for some reason doesn't show it in the UEFI boot order!

With the BIOS settings showing that the WD SSD is the only drive in the OS boot manager, but the windows file explorer showing the windows in the 931 GB  HDD, inability to switch the order and the laptop still functioning super slow, I require anyone's help as I am pretty desperate right now.

If this is of any importance, I also remember following some guide to recover using installation media and using command prompt to 'convert disk to gpt' or something.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SubramanianS 

OK, some back story here, as well.

Disk formatting comes in two general forms: MBR and GPT.  MBR is the older form and limit the drive to four primary partitions. GPT is the newer form and has no practical limit on the partitons.

Booting is also done using either of two formats: Legacy and UEFI.  Legacy is the older form and was used for PCs with MBR formatted drives.  UEFI is the new one and is used with PC with GPT formatted drives.

While you can create Windows install media for either MBR or UEFI, most modern PCs will expect the UEFI form and will expect the drive to be formatted as GPT.

Converting MBR to GPT is a risky proposition and generally does NOT work. Even MS does not trust it to work as they tell you to make a complete backup of any drive before doing the conversion.  My guess is that the conversion only partly worked and has left you in this predicament.

With a newer PC, the recommended approach is UEFI with GPT.  So, the best approach I would use would be to start over, create new installation media that you are sure supports UEFI, reformat the drive as GPT, and reinstall Windows all over again.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@SubramanianS 

OK, some back story here, as well.

Disk formatting comes in two general forms: MBR and GPT.  MBR is the older form and limit the drive to four primary partitions. GPT is the newer form and has no practical limit on the partitons.

Booting is also done using either of two formats: Legacy and UEFI.  Legacy is the older form and was used for PCs with MBR formatted drives.  UEFI is the new one and is used with PC with GPT formatted drives.

While you can create Windows install media for either MBR or UEFI, most modern PCs will expect the UEFI form and will expect the drive to be formatted as GPT.

Converting MBR to GPT is a risky proposition and generally does NOT work. Even MS does not trust it to work as they tell you to make a complete backup of any drive before doing the conversion.  My guess is that the conversion only partly worked and has left you in this predicament.

With a newer PC, the recommended approach is UEFI with GPT.  So, the best approach I would use would be to start over, create new installation media that you are sure supports UEFI, reformat the drive as GPT, and reinstall Windows all over again.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the response, I will go for the new installation. But may I know if I need to delete or format any drive before doing so? Also, I want to install it on my SSD this time. So should I format my SSD or let it overwrite the current Windows when it prompts me?

Again, Thanks for the response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.