Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 14-cm0011ax

I have a HP 14-cm0011ax and I bought a new Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD and installed in the laptop. After successfully using the migration tool to clone the OS drive and other partitions I enter the BIOS setup and couldn't find the NVMe SSD on the boot manager. 

How do I boot to Windows 10 from my NVMe? There seems to be no problem in the SSD, to the migration process and also my BIOS is updated.

Need your advise,

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your notebook originally came with a 2.5" SATA hard drive, and you installed a NVMe SSD, and if you still have an operating system on the hard drive, the notebook will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first and not the SSD.

What you will need to do is to temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and the Windows boot manager should automatically switch to the NVMe SSD.

Run the notebook a while off the NVMe SSD, so some restarts and shutdowns and then reconnect the 2.5" SSD.

If you run into the same issue again, you will need to completely format the hard drive so that there is no boot files remaining on it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your notebook originally came with a 2.5" SATA hard drive, and you installed a NVMe SSD, and if you still have an operating system on the hard drive, the notebook will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first and not the SSD.

What you will need to do is to temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and the Windows boot manager should automatically switch to the NVMe SSD.

Run the notebook a while off the NVMe SSD, so some restarts and shutdowns and then reconnect the 2.5" SSD.

If you run into the same issue again, you will need to completely format the hard drive so that there is no boot files remaining on it.

HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks a lot. Didn't know the solution for this was that simple. Tried to remove my HDD and it works perfectly fine and my laptop now runs faster. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.